• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple says "Macs just work", but....

J

jimmywoods

"The problem reared its ugly head recently when ZDNet Australia sister site CNET.com.au noticed that battery power on its 15-inch MacBook Pro -- acquired late-February -- was dramatically reduced for no reason.

Despite being fully charged, the notebook could only last under 15 minutes on the battery. Rather than providing up to 4.5 hours of battery life (Apple's stated lifespan for the 15-inch model), the MacBook Pro began to randomly shut down.

The outer casing of the battery pack had swelled up to the point that the notebook was exposed to dirt."

-

Their advertising campains are just a brainwash really arn't they.
If this happened to PC's, mac users would say..."yeah, stupid PC's never work..etc"

I think it's just computers in general. PC/MAC whatever. It's just that electronic stuff is always likely to malfunction.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
it's a rev a machine, there are always gonna be problems. Plus, it's lithium-polymer batteries, again which always seem to present one problem or another.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
And that is one, isolated case. Sounds like mere bad luck... Windows or Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
Computers are always going to have a few problems, PCs or Macs. Apple's new commercials aren't completely truthful, but commercials rarely are. They're just lies and exagerations to get you to buy products. (I'm obviously not a marketing major)

Reaction score
jimmy I think you misunderstand what "Macs just work" actually means. Apple don't claim that their products don't have faults, they are talking about the usability of a Mac. I see you only have one post, so I have to ask if you actually own and use a Mac on a daily basis?

Reaction score
It's true that all products, new old etc all have problems every now and then, but I think it's a poor show to say it's okay because it's a revision A....

Users shouldn't accept that just because it's Rev A it's going to have problems, sounds like you've all been duped by the dream of owning an Apple, image over quality and all that. It's just another product like any other, and if you're happy to say it's a Rev A so it's gonna happen, then you're just the kind of mug Apple are looking for.

No product should be released without being 100% tested, and if it turns out there is a problem that affects more than a very small number, it should be dealt with swiftly, but this kind of production quality should not be expected, or accepted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
chuckalicious said:
No product should be released without being 100% tested, and if it turns out there is a problem that affects more than a very small number, it should be dealt with swiftly, but this kind of production quality should not be expected, or accepted.

Show me one company that has a 100% track record of flawless products. It just doesn't happen. You can't 100% test every single unit because the production cost would be so high that nobody could afford to buy them.

So, one battery has problems. Did apple swiftly sort it out? Yes, as far as I know they did. Has the problem been seen anywhere else? No, not that I am aware of.

On the one hand, you say that it's wrong to accept that new products won't be perfect right out of the door. On the other hand, if you genuinely expect that a company has spent time and money thoroughly testing the product to a degree that it CANNOT fail, then you're deluding yourself.

Reaction score
cazabam said:
Show me one company that has a 100% track record of flawless products. It just doesn't happen. You can't 100% test every single unit because the production cost would be so high that nobody could afford to buy them.

So, one battery has problems. Did apple swiftly sort it out? Yes, as far as I know they did. Has the problem been seen anywhere else? No, not that I am aware of.

On the one hand, you say that it's wrong to accept that new products won't be perfect right out of the door. On the other hand, if you genuinely expect that a company has spent time and money thoroughly testing the product to a degree that it CANNOT fail, then you're deluding yourself.

I wasn't talking about this specific battery problem, but more the constant "It's a Rev A" excuse.

I am well aware that many new products have issues, but it seems like Apple are one of the worst offenders, with pretty much every single product they release being badly flawed (iPod battery, Logic board, MBP heat/noise issues, who knows what else (I'm relatively new to the Mac scene but have done much reading)).

I am also aware that very few products will ever be released perfect, so there's no delusion there :) all I am saying is Apple seem particularly bad at testing what can only be described as sub-standard manufactured products (heat sink paste, plastic strip over vent etc), and yet charge phenomenal prices for them, so you're right, if a product is tested well, it should cost more. Apple products cost more, and don't use better components than anyone else.....

Just my opinion of course :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
zeta101 said:
jimmy I think you misunderstand what "Macs just work" actually means. Apple don't claim that their products don't have faults, they are talking about the usability of a Mac. I see you only have one post, so I have to ask if you actually own and use a Mac on a daily basis?

I agree. Hardware is a different story. Even though hardware is extremely important I have to agree with zeta101. I think they are talking more about the interface and how "right out of the box" they just work. All your software is their ready to go. In all the years i have been using PC's I have never been able to hook up a camcorder to it and have it automatically start importing the video. I needed extra software and hardware. Half the time the drivers and or firmware needed to be updated. then in the middle of importing it would crash.

On the same note, Macs are far from perfect.......but pretty darn close :) But thats just my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
If a battery wears out prematurely due to maufacturing or design defect... they are going to replace it. Lots of people have reported manufacturing problems on these and other forums and they are almost always resolved by the product being replaced in a timely manner. Lets not Troll, eh?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
the rev. a. excuse is not an excuse it is a reality. do you go buy the first model off the line of a car that comes out? no you wait until the bugs are fixed and at that rate you are spending 20,000+ and not 3,000.

and batteries are batteries they will have a fail rate and. and i wonder what those aussies were doing with the 'book that it was exposed to dirt?

i leave only to state this:
caution.jpg

-chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.