• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Best deals you got on old macs!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
Well, lets here about all your crazy used mac deals.. Lets see who got the best deal and where they got it from...

I have gotten a bunch of good deals, but the best is probally a free beige g3 desktop.. It was 300mhz, had 384mb ram, and 36gb of hard drive space. I got it a couple of years ago from a school surplus. They were going to dump it if no one took it.

Enough about me, lets here all those crazy deals you guys have gotten :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
well, might get a powermac G4 if my local school doesn't want it... they switched over to dells about five years ago, but still have a few older macs laying around i guess. I saw one with a broken fan the other day, hopefully the school doesn't want it and it'll be mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
Im about to get a B&W PowerMac from my dad's work. They barely use it and they ordered a new computer to replace it, so my dad is getting it off their hands so I can have a new toy to play with. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Two of the best deals I got are: A Power Mac Sawtooth 500Mhz G4 with 1GB ram and 40GB brand new HDD. This was 3 years ago when they were worth a lot, I got it from my friend who works for the goverment in MINT shape for $121. At that time they were going for $500 Plus on ebay. It was MINT also.

Also I got a B&W G3 300Mhz Rev 2 motherboard and 512Megs RAM on Ebay for $25 over a year ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb
Well apple were gonna sell me a macbook with 2gb ram and an exspensive bag for £750, woulda gone for it if I had the cash but it isn't an old mac so it don't count. I recently got a maxed out emac for £216, it is also the fastest emac you can get. Just look at my mac specs, I also got hold of a refurbed ipod video for less than half the price of a brand new one in UK prices. Also a G4 AGP graphics for £99 on ebay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
I got my first Mac a few months ago for just £10- a G3 iMac DV Grape.

The guy who was selling had upgraded to a G5 iMac and it had been sitting unused for a while and the hard drive was apparently dodgy, so I got a bargain!

Specs: G3 400MHz, 64MB RAM, 10GB HDD, slot load DVD drive, 2 firewire ports, original keyboard and round mouse, OS 9.0.3.

I've upgraded it to 640mb RAM and 80GB HDD, and it's running Panther (10.3.9) quite nicely at the moment.

As it's my first Mac, I've been using it to learn my way around OS X at the moment and for light usage (web browsing, downloading IM, iTunes, iPhoto etc). But for more demanding tasks like TV watching/recording, gaming, audio/video work, disc burning and heavy web browsing, I need to use my Athlon 64 Windows Media Center laptop.

Next year (August 2007) I'm going to replace both with a 15" MacBook Pro for uni, and give my Windows laptop to my sister and put the iMac in the lounge for music.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Free macintosh Quadra 660av (years ago)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
My Mother-in-law's Pismo wouldn't start-up so she replaced it and stuck it in the closet. I asked her what hapened to her awsome powerbook and she said it didn't work, "Do you want it? If you can fix it its yours..." I got a free Pismo. If that ain't a crazy deal...

I also got an apple laser printer on eBay for $9.00, which I then used to print my masters thesis (for the cost of the paper instead of paying the university printshop to do it for a big fee).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core solo Mac mini 1.5GHz, Headless Powerbook G4 500MHz
I bought a Lc580 for $5 last year...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.