Who still uses os 9/classic?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb
Just wondering if there are still people out there who are running the old operating systems such as os 9, if so what do you use it for? Can it do your day to day tasks you rely on? How would you compare it to using OS X?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
There are two columnists on www.lowendmac.com who write about this a lot. Dan Knight and Charles Moore are always on about how they use OS9 and why they don't want to switch to hardware without classic support.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have some old MacDraw Pro files still around.

Reaction score
I still use it, mosty for QuarkXpress 3.2 or 4.11. I also use it to manipulate files in OS X (no X file is invisible), usually Spotlight's Search.bundle folder. I change its name to nuke the Spotlight icon, and change it back before downloading software updates. I'm posting this with WaMCom's Mozilla 1.3.1 after changing the Search.bundle folder name again after loading 10.4.7 through Software Update.

On this dual G4, surfing the net with 9.2.2 is a lot faster than with Tiger. Actually, everything is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I use Quark xPress at work on an iMac G3 running OS 9.2.2.

I have a few free games on my Powerbook that run using Classic.

That's about it...I'd like to get an iBook G3 that I could load 9.2.2 on for nostalgia purposes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.