Jpg transfer problems

M

marcato15

New to mac and am having troubles transferring jpgs from my pc. I transfer a folder and some of the pictures transfer and some don't. If I retry sending individual pictures sometimes they transfer and sometimes I just get errors. Is there a quick fix, or is this an underlying problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
.jpg is a cross-platform file type. If there are problems transferring some, then the problem lies within the file itself, not whatever OS it is coming from or going to.
I am not sure how you are doing the transfer, but I would suggest putting the files on a disc first, then transfer them that way.

OP
M

marcato15

D3v1L80Y said:
.jpg is a cross-platform file type. If there are problems transferring some, then the problem lies within the file itself, not whatever OS it is coming from or going to.
I am not sure how you are doing the transfer, but I would suggest putting the files on a disc first, then transfer them that way.
I tried that but get an error message "Sorry the operation could not be completed because an unexpected error occurred.(Error Code -8065)". The same thing happens if I put them on a usb drive and try transfering. Could it be something on the computer that is causing this problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
This sounds like a generic file transfer problem not anything specific to the files themselves. Can you explain the method you are using to transfer the files, and what part of that process is giving you the error you describe above?

I have only recently transferred from PC to Mac, and moved literally gigabytes of JPGs across. They all worked fine. In my case, I used a Mac formatted external hard drive, copied all the files to it, and then read them onto the Mac. I have a likely advantage over you in that I had a Linux dual boot on the PC, and it was able to read and write the Mac formatted hard drive. However, I have also done one at a time transfers using FTP, and even PC formatted Zip drives. All have worked.

Perhaps if you could provide a little more detail about the process you are using, we could help. There is no underlying issue - don't worry about that.

OP
M

marcato15

mac57 said:
This sounds like a generic file transfer problem not anything specific to the files themselves. Can you explain the method you are using to transfer the files, and what part of that process is giving you the error you describe above?

I have only recently transferred from PC to Mac, and moved literally gigabytes of JPGs across. They all worked fine. In my case, I used a Mac formatted external hard drive, copied all the files to it, and then read them onto the Mac. I have a likely advantage over you in that I had a Linux dual boot on the PC, and it was able to read and write the Mac formatted hard drive. However, I have also done one at a time transfers using FTP, and even PC formatted Zip drives. All have worked.

Perhaps if you could provide a little more detail about the process you are using, we could help. There is no underlying issue - don't worry about that.

I have been copying the jpgs from our Canon Digital Rebel on to a usb drive, sticking it in the computer, then tried importing them from iphoto. I also tried opening the usb drive folder and dragging the pictures on to the desktop and tried copying them and pasting them (which is the same thing). They both gave me errors. I then took pictures from a different camera that were on a cd and tried to transfer but it still gave me problems.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Have you tried using image capture to get the images from your camera on to your system?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
marcato15 said:
I tried that but get an error message "Sorry the operation could not be completed because an unexpected error occurred.(Error Code -8065)". The same thing happens if I put them on a usb drive and try transfering. Could it be something on the computer that is causing this problem?

Have you updated from 10.4.1? See here Something there about "Addresses an alert “Error code -8065″ that could occur when copying a file through SMB to a Microsoft Windows-based PC volume a second time, if the file had previously been deleted from the PC."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.