Looking to purchase a Piano

S

szskateman22

Hey,
I was looking to purchase a piano for my new iMac that I got about a month ago... I like making movies and making music... currently I have Soundtrack and Garageband on my computer and I was looking into getting a new piano (preferably about $150) I would like to know if the USB Keyboard that MAC suggests... M-Audio Keystation 49e at $100 is this a good keyboard? Has anybody had any bad experiences with it? Do USB/MIDI pianos do more than just piano (trumpet, guitar, etc.)?

Thanks alot,
szskateman22

Reaction score
szskateman22 said:
Hey,
I was looking to purchase a piano for my new iMac that I got about a month ago... I like making movies and making music... currently I have Soundtrack and Garageband on my computer and I was looking into getting a new piano (preferably about $150) I would like to know if the USB Keyboard that MAC suggests... M-Audio Keystation 49e at $100 is this a good keyboard? Has anybody had any bad experiences with it? Do USB/MIDI pianos do more than just piano (trumpet, guitar, etc.)?

Thanks alot,
szskateman22

I have the Keystation 49e, and have been nothing but extremely pleased with it. I've recorded full 4 minute songs with drums, piano, guitars, and bass without much trouble. Never had any issues with it at all. Works extremely well with GarageBand.

OP
S

szskateman22

crunch2402 said:
I have the Keystation 49e, and have been nothing but extremely pleased with it. I've recorded full 4 minute songs with drums, piano, guitars, and bass without much trouble. Never had any issues with it at all. Works extremely well with GarageBand.

OK... so you haven't had any problems with the "sticky" keys or when the USB plug in moves it doesn't find the keyboard anymore? Because from the reviews on the apple store, there have been a couple of complaints on the device's adapter:
"At first the keyboard would work but when the wire wiggled even just slightly it wouldn't work, and now i have to set the wire in a very wierd position just to give it power."

Others have said that it worked for seven months until he heard something moving about inside it...

It seems like a very nice keyboard and at a very reasonable price. It also seems like you enjoy this keyboard very much too. Just one more question... because a lot of these problems were with long terms... how long have you had the keyboard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
You get what you pay for.
$100 dollars isn't the worlds best keyboard.
It isn't full or have weighted keys, first of all, and obviously it will be cheap.
If you are ever going to get seriously into playing the Piano/Keyboard, get a Yahama P-80. I have it and it is the best Keyboard I have ever used. (Quality wise). It doesn't have many sets but it can be used as a GB controller.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 " Intel iMac, 60 GB 5th Gen iPod 12300+ Songs
I have the microKORG which is fun live but also doubles as a MidiKeyboard it's pretty nice it's not the best synth in the world but a KORG for $400 isn't bad at all, a little out of the price range you were aiming for but if you could afford it I recomend it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
B&W G3, 400 MHz, 10.3; 2 GHz Gateway with WinXP and Debian Linux dual-boot
szskateman22 said:
Hey,

Thanks alot,
szskateman22

Mac and M-Audio seem to have a thing going, I don't know. I would likewise suggest a Yamaha, though I thought their PS line was fine. As long as it has MIDI, and you either have a MIDI port on the iMac or a MIDI/usb connector, you will be able to make any sound the iMac can make.
I actually use a keyboard MIDI controller and a separate Evolution UC-33e (listed on the M-Audio site, so probably owned by them), which sends MIDI controller messages, like all the little knobs and sliders on the M-Audio keyboards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.