How reliable IS bootcamp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
I've been thinking about installing boot camp and XP on my MBP, but as I was searching for threads about this, I ran across a load of people complaining about problems. Now, I know it's in Beta but how reliable is it? are those cases anomalies or not-so-uncommon? and if I did decide to install it, what risks would I be taking?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
If you install it properly (i.e. a full retail version of windows XP with included SP2) then it seems to be fine for most people.

It's when you start mucking around with OEM discs, Media center editions and the likes that it can go FUBAR.

O

orthocross

It is not necessary to use BootCamp to install XP on your Apple Intel machine. Just stick the install disk in, and reboot the machine. The XP installer will start, and you only need to delete all partitions on the HD, then reformat it as NTFS or FAT32 (up to 32gig).

Of course, this will entail removing all your OS X data and programs, but who really cares? The Apple Intel is a great platform for running XP (or Vista) on exclusively.

The only true use for BootCamp is to create the Windows drivers disk, to enable the Apple hardware, such as the keyboard, and the video driver, as well as the sound driver. Once XP (or vista) is installed, just stick the Mac drivers disk in. If you have an Ethernet card, you will be able to go to Microsoft Update and get the wireless driver.

As far as BootCamp's reliability is concerned, it is very reliable, if used properly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch
I was exactly the same before my first BootCamp install.
Now I'm Dual-booting with Vista and loving it. As said, if you follow the instructions you shouldn't have any problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
orthocross said:
It is not necessary to use BootCamp to install XP on your Apple Intel machine. Just stick the install disk in, and reboot the machine. The XP installer will start, and you only need to delete all partitions on the HD, then reformat it as NTFS or FAT32 (up to 32gig).

Of course, this will entail removing all your OS X data and programs, but who really cares? The Apple Intel is a great platform for running XP (or Vista) on exclusively.

The only true use for BootCamp is to create the Windows drivers disk, to enable the Apple hardware, such as the keyboard, and the video driver, as well as the sound driver. Once XP (or vista) is installed, just stick the Mac drivers disk in. If you have an Ethernet card, you will be able to go to Microsoft Update and get the wireless driver.

As far as BootCamp's reliability is concerned, it is very reliable, if used properly.
I'm sorry, but I really don't see the point in buying an apple computer if you're never even going to try OS X...

OP
ShillAT
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah really. what's SP2?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Service Pack 2, a whole package of windows updates & fixes...

It has to be pre-included on your windows installation disc (all recent ones should have it).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
orthocross said:

Are you for real? If so then just get a PC and don't even bother with getting an Apple product.

OP
ShillAT
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
why would you bother getting a mac to exclusively run windows on it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
ShillAT said:
why would you bother getting a mac to exclusively run windows on it?

because he probably like's apple's hardware and microsoft's software. we might not agree, but it's his money. if running windows exclusively on a mac suits him then he should do it.

as for the reliability of bootcamp, there are absolutely no reliability issues. the problems that people are having are solely because of mistakes they made while installing windows. if you follow apple's instructions then boot camp will work flawlessly. deviate from the plan and your apt to screw things up.

OP
ShillAT
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool. As soon as I track down a copy of XP, I'm doing it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
well, as long as you follow the manual they give word for word (print it out, that helps...), you should be fine. i installed it with no problems whatsoever. the most common problem people here seem to have is gauging how much space they need. remember that once you partition the drive, you can't add or remove space. you have to remove the partition and start over.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.