Do specific folders get automatically created?

Q

quazy

For example, in Windows there are some default folders such as My Music, My Pictures etc...

I hate this automation!!! I want things done ONLY when I want them to be done!!!

When I switch on my iMac and finish the setup process, will it create folders and shortcuts and apply any settings without asking???

Reaction score
Yes, for your user account you will have a documents, music, pictures, and movies folder within your user directory.

Reaction score
you can't have everything perfect :) you have to understand that for most people having these folders there by default is great help. Otherwise peoples computers would be even more disorganised. However, as for "shorcuts" I don't think OSX does anything like this. All it has are premade folders called Music, Pictures, Movies and Documents in your user folder. There are I guess what you could call shortcuts to these on the finder side bar, but you can click and drag them off and they will be gone, you can also add your own things there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
It is really a starter for people who, *ahem* need it. I haven't deleted them, and I keep most of my stuff in the documents folder. Yet I have folder upon folder in there. I haven't yet found Spotlight to be better than plain ol' nested folders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The system will create Music, Pictures, and Movies folders in your Home folder, but you're under no obligation to use them. You can Trash them if you like, and they'll be gone forever. They're just there to serve as consistent defaults that applications like iTunes and iPhoto can use without cluttering the Documents folder, or popping up a dozen dialogs asking you where, exactly, you want to keep every little thing.

Many applications do use them...iTunes, for example, will keep its own Library inside the ~/Music folder, but you can change the location from iTunes Preferences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It definetly gives you more freedom than the Windows "My Documents". That always frustrated me, too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mynameis said:
Please elaborate

I don't know if that was totally phrased right. I meant to say that I prefer the way that Mac OS X works as a pose to Windows--I'll tell you why. Whenever you want to save something, Windows assumes that you are the average user, automatically saving everything and anything under "My Documents". Rooting through files was a pain, at least in Windows. I think it was that assumption that you are going to save everything by Microsoft's standards. The same argument can be said for Mac OS X, but it's "Home Folder" is a better concept. You know that everything personal (basically excluding OS info) will be in your home folder. You can then organize your home folder however you'd like, they just give you suggestions.

I hope that helped, or it was just a ramble. I've had a long day :-D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.