ROSETTA and intel mac question(S)

Reaction score
Hiya,

posted here last week (with a 1 day old mac book - my new baby!!!!!) and hadnt done a search prior...and got in trouble. MY FAULT - i understand. I have searched now and cant find the right answer to a question.

I understand that the intel macs are a different platform and hence u need a universal binary version (i think thats right) of software but does this apply to ALL software that isnt for the intel version. If this is the case then is it Rosetta that has to open these programmes. If this is the case - do i need to download it or does it come on v. 10.4.6 as my office suite is working fine - i assume rosetta is already on. I hope thats vaguely clear! Thanks in advance for your help!

and one little one - have been using mercury and have just downloaded axium...which seems a bit easier to use - but can you use video, nudge and sound feautures that are available on mercury. Oh and final one - promise - how come on mercury do i appear *blue* when i open a video connection??

thanks a lot guys
bw

Reaction score
Look Rosetta is already on your system. Universal Binary is applications that supports both PowerPC and Intel so it runs smooth on both. But the ones that aren't Universal Binary yet they run under Rosetta, and are a little slower.

Reaction score
axium (I think you mean adium, right?) -- Well, it doesnt support audio and video, it may do one day, but it's a big task for the developers. It doesn;t support the nudge feature either.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.