• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Whats this Merom stuff?

C

Christiaan Troo

I supposedly read this "Intel officially says Merom is coming in August (exact date unspecified)."

What is it?

Reaction score
This article tells about what Intel is going to be introducing next, Conroe, and Merom. Intel Core Microarchitecture.

Its probably going to be close to January 2007 when the next os by Apple is supposed to be introduced and when the new chips are to be put in macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Current Intel-based Macs use the "Yonah" chip (single-core and dual-core). The MacBook Pro utilizes the 1.8ghz, 2.0ghz, and 2.16ghz Core Duo processors. The next line of processors, the Core 2 Duo series, will introduce the "Merom" as the mobile processor. They are 64-bit chips and have twice the L2 cache that the Yonah chips offer. Basically they give you better performance. So Merom = next Yonah :)

OP
F

funklord

I'm looking to get a new Macbook pro either this summer or the next one after graduation.

With Merom looming, it sounds like I should hold off until next summer. I really want a new laptop, but I don't want to drop over 2 grand just to have missed an upgrade that makes it run faster and (from what I'm hearing) cooler.

I know playing the waiting game with computers just makes you wait forever, but this seems like a pretty major update (that and the new OS).

Would you guys wait as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Honestly, the current apples are so fast, I'm not sure that small a speed difference would make that big of a difference in the machine.

I could be wrong, though...

Reaction score
funklord, even if you wait and you get one next summer (a whole year from now) apple will then annouce some even more innovations and intel will have some other processors on the horizon. If you need the laptop now and you can put it to good use for the next year then get it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
yeah, I doubt the current macbooks will become obselete until at least a good five years, maybe even ten. I know plenty of people here still use G3 macs...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.