• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Connecting Macbookpro & Sony PC4E

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just bought a MacbookPro 15 inch with 2 Gb of RAM.
I connected (brand new Firewire cable) my old Sony DCR-PC4E camcorder to transfer those dozens of DV tapes I never edited but it is not recognized by my mac.
Apple reseller pushes me towards Sony.
Sony pushes me towards Apple.
Apple helpdesk in France has no clue about camcorders.

It seems there is no specific driver pour PC4E.
This is my first mac so I do not know where to search.

Thank you for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
So when you open iMovie and flip the little tab onto the camera icon, you get the 'connect camera' message?

OP
F
Reaction score
Aptmunich said:
So when you open iMovie and flip the little tab onto the camera icon, you get the 'connect camera' message?

Thank you for your answer.
I do not even get the camera icon when the camcorder is plugged.
I unplugged/plugged the firewire cable, switched off/on the camcorder, no effect.
iSight camera is the only choice within iMovie.
Do I have to turn it off in some way ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I'd like to help you, but my iMovie is currently crashing 2 seconds after opening... :( I'll try to get back to ya...

EDIT:
Ok, we're back (a simple reboot seems to have cured that issue).

You'll notice next to the camera icon is a little grey arrow. When you click on that, do you get the option to select your sony?

I just checked out the camera, very strange that it isn't working, I've used an almost identical Sony with my iBook before - it worked without a hitch! You don't normally need drivers for firewire DV cams...

Is the camera in VCR mode? (I.e. is it set for playback).

OP
F
Reaction score
Aptmunich said:
You'll notice next to the camera icon is a little grey arrow. When you click on that, do you get the option to select your sony?

Is the camera in VCR mode? (I.e. is it set for playback).

The grey arrow opens to iSight and accelerated mode but does not show my Sony. Yes I switched the camcorder on Play mode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are they any additional options for outputting the video stream on the camera itself?

OP
F
Reaction score
For the record, the problem seems to be with my video camera, the firewire interface being dead. Everything works fine using a PC5E that I borrowed for the transfer.
Sorry for the pollution and thanks for trying to help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah okay, good to know it's not a general issue...

Hard luck dude, hope you can get it fixed!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.