Intra-windowing cut and paste?

P

pmorris

Just got my first Mac since an LC ... Skipped the powermac years. I got one of these little white Intel notebooks. I Got the fastest processor and 2 gigs of ram to boot! Should last a few years... I love how quick these things boot up. But also need flameproof trousers to use it as a laptop; it gets REALLY hot. Some of the bundled apps I find sort of lame, mostly fluff. Which quickly had me pining for Open source software. My first attempts were to install Open Office and the GIMP. They work like a charm. However, I would have hoped that Apple would have come up with a mechanism by which xwindow applications could cut and paste to macintosh apps, and whatever they are calling their windowing environment. Has anyone written this kind of utility, i.e. where you could actually cut from Safari, and paste into the GIMP?

thanks for any suggestions, Peter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Cut and paste works fine between X11 apps and native apps. Here are the instructions:

Copying from X11: Simply highlight the what you're copying in your X11 app and press command-C. Use command-V to paste into your native app.

Copying to X11: Copy whatever you want to the clipboard from your native app. Focus your X11 app's window and press option-click (that is, hold down option/alt and click).

option-click is the OS X way of doing a middle-click, so if you're used to X11 apps then it's easy to get used to. If you're just copying between X11 apps you don't need to copy it to the clipboard with command-V; just highlight and option-click like you would on a 'native' X11 platform.

OP
P

pmorris

Thanks you guys. Tried all of these and I'm sure I'll just have to play with them a little before I get the hang of it. I was more successful copying from X11 apps to Mac apps than the other way around. For instance, I couldn't seem to paste a Photo Booth image to neither Open Office Write, nor "Gimpshop". But it was easy enough to copy text from OOWrite to TextEdit. I could save the Photo Booth jpg, and open it in Gimpshop.
Thanks again for the tips...

-Peter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
The X11 copy/paste is pretty much limited to text. I didn't realise you were copying image data. Having played a bit, I can't copy between Gimp.app and OpenOffice, both of which are X11 apps. I'll check how it works on my Ubuntu box ...

For the time being, images are best exported/imported rather than copy/pasted. It's a bit of a pain, but it gives you a filesystem scratch buffer :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.