• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Lossless Coming to iTMS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Source: AppleInsider.com

A new version of Apple Computer's iTunes Producer software suggest that the company may begin to offer tracks through its iTunes Music Store that are encoded in its higher-quality lossless compression format.

Apple introduced the format in 2004 as part of QuickTIme 6.5.1, saying it offered CD-quality audio in "about half the storage space." The company later added support for the format to iTunes 4.5.

In a private release of iTunes Producer 1.4 this week, Apple said the software "now encodes music in Apple Lossless format, which produces larger audio files and will increase upload time."

iTunes Producer is distributed to record labels by Apple as a tool for prepping and submitting their content for inclusion on the iTunes Music Store. The iTunes service currently serves up tracks in only the Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) format.

Although the ACC format also produces tracks with a quality rivaling that of uncompressed CD audio, it does so to a lesser extent than the Apple Lossless format.

It's unclear what role the Apple Lossless format will play on the iTunes music store, if at all. Unlike AAC, the format does not presently utilize a digital rights management (DRM) scheme to assure copy-protection -- though popular speculation is that DRM could be applied to the format in much the same way as other QuickTime file formats.

The iTunes Producer 1.4 release also improves stability of uploading playlists and displays upload progress, sources told AppleInsider.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Not only do they only offer compressed AACs now, but they're only 128kbps...definately a drop from CD quality on good equipment. I'm in the process of re-ripping my CD collection to lossless since I upgraded my headphone setup. This is good news, hope it's not too much more than $99 cents per song!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Reaction score
Maybe Ill concider buying from itunes now....nah

I still cant believe how many people pay a buck per song for such low quality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
I'm still doing the CD-ripping thing... no DRM and still works fine for my iPod :-D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
gh11 said:
Maybe Ill concider buying from itunes now....nah

I still cant believe how many people pay a buck per song for such low quality.

Well, on most consumer audio equipment you can't really hear a difference. 128kbps AACs sound fine on any Logitech computer speaker set.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree. However, I choose not to download from iTunes because I loathe DRM.

J

JKrouth

Are CD's really that out of date? I always by the CD so I have a hard copy of my songs, I know I'll never lose them if my computer fails. I do own an iPod and I import using an AIFF encoder at the highest quality. I don't mind the large files but I'm wondering now if AIFF is a bad idea....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think CDs are out of date. They may be losing ground, but they are from out of date.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
CDs are not out of date.
CDs are free from DRM, so people that don't like being *watched* can still listen to music :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Make sure you don't get rootkits from Sony, though ;)

J

jlbrew3

even with good headphones (Shure e4c) the sound quality from my ipod is actually pretty good. I can hardly notice anything wrong, except for short little bursts of certain frequencies in some songs.

it definitely would be nice though to have lossless

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.