I got my mac and have a few ?'s

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 2.0 GHz Core Duo, 256 Vid Card, 1 gig ram, 40 gig ipod, 4 gig nano, 512mb shuffle
My 20" Imac finally came yesterday, it was a breeze setting it up, the hardest part was making room on my desk. After setting everything up I installed all the updates (took me awhile to figure out how to close itunes so it would update) then I played with Ichat (I love the Isight). I had the problem of not being able to video chat with anyone but after a simple search on apples support sight I found the ports that I had to open on my router and it worked flawlessly. I love the Imac I am glad I went with the 20" Imac over the macbook and mac mini.

I did have a few problems though; any help would be greatly appreciated.

I downloaded Aim (because Ichat's messaging thing bothers me and none of my buddies are grouped) and yahoo messenger (which I am now getting rid of) and skype. Both Yahoo and AIM encountered sever problems and were terminated. I couldn't use them for more the 15 min. I can't Figure out why, then skype worked the first time then would no longer connect. Is this typical with applications terminating?

I also wanted to use iphoto with all my pictures. They are all located on my external and when I went to import them to iphoto it started placing them on my hard drive, I don’t want this considering there are so many photos, I tired to create an alias but it didn’t work. Is there any way for me to do this (I really want to view them in front row).

I couldn't get shared itunes to show up in front row either, help!

One last question, I am upgrading my ram myself, for the imac is it better to run two ram chips that are the same (ex. 2x512's) or can I run a 1gig and a 512 without a problem.

I guess thats about it for now, if I have anymore questions I will add them later!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Congrats on the new iMac! :black:
None of those issues are out of the ordinary or especially troublesome.
There are lots of threads here with suggestions and remedies for them, so give the SEARCH FUNCTION a shot.

You will find all of your answers that way, and if you ever have any further questions try searching first. :black:

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 2.0 GHz Core Duo, 256 Vid Card, 1 gig ram, 40 gig ipod, 4 gig nano, 512mb shuffle
i've been searching the forum and i am still confused about the dual channel ram, it seems for certain products have the same size matter but others it doesn't. Does it matter for the Imac or is just the macbook and mac mini?

Sorry, I keep reading posts that contrast each other and it is only making me more confused... :dummy:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
there is a popular thread about dual chanel ram in the anything goes forum right now. make sure you pay attention to intel imacs and not ppc based imacs because that is where the conflicting information is probably coming from

AIM for osx has not been updated in like 4 years, either use ichat or adiumx

i believe there is a way to keep all yoru iphoto files on an external drive, i just dont know how
-chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.