Cheap starter mac?

R

Rcadden

Windows user here, looking to give macs a chance. I'm enthralled at the cool things you can do with macs, namely the out-of-the-ordinary hacks, like the Smackbook video and the new stuff with the keyboard backlights going to the music and stuff. I always thought computers should be more fun than just a grey box.

That being said, I want to foray into Macs, but I need a cheap (sub-$500) intro price. I just don't have the dough to go full-fledged into it without knowing I'm going to stay. I don't necessarily need the backlight and whatnot, I know it can be done, I'm more interested in the opportunity to get a few weeks or months just to play around in the OS.

Here's what I use my computer most for:

1. Music
2. Web browsing
3. IM
4. supplement to my cellphone (Nokia N80) (HAS to sync or I just can't justify it at all)
5. Storing and organizing digital photos and whatnot

I don't really use any office apps as much anymore, now that I'm done with school.

I have a USB Bluetooth dongle on my laptop right now, will that work with a Mac just like it does with Windows, or does that vary between dongle manu.?

Any suggestions as far as minimum system requirements would be great, obviously I want to be able to run the newest version of the OS. Also any suggestions as to what system to look for on Ebay or wherever else would be greatly appreciated. I saw ya'll have a BST forum, I'll keep an eye out in there as well.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Reaction score
If you have a monitor you can get the Core Solo for $599.00 and if you are a student then with a student discount it is even cheaper, $579.00. So it is close to what you were looking for.

If you don't have a monitor you can get a cheap LCD from any electronic store near you.

OP
M

MD_Willington

Plenty of used imacs around, I got one (iMac DV) for $10... not exactly bleeding edge, but for $10 I can't complain...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
Or you could get an imac g4.. go for the 1.25 ghz model. Built in LCD screen, and easy to use. Its perfect for what you need it for! Fast enought for all the tasks you want to accomplish, yet not too expensive..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
For the entry price you are interested in a used iMac is likely your best bet. Go with a G4 or a G5 - all of the software will run "native" vs. interpreted like a lot of it has to be on the newest Intel Macs. If you want to try out the Mac experience, you want to do it at "full tilt" or you will come away with the impression that they are slow (which they are most definitely not!). You also get serious COOL factor with an iMac, which is also a part of the Mac experience. Enjoy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
For under $500, you are not likely to find very many G4 systems. You are definitely not going to find any G5 systems for under $500.
You will however, find plenty of G3 systems. These are great and run OS X just fine. Make sure to max out on the RAM with a G3 and you should be fine.
eBay and other auction sites are your best bet.
G3 iMacs and iBooks are likely going to be the best choice, so keep an eye out for one of them.
Good luck!
:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
I'd say if you have a monitor/keyboard/mouse, go with a used g4 mini. I've seen plenty of the Rev A. (w/o AE or BT) go for around $350. I'm sure you can find one with integrated BT and AE for closer to $400/$450. I'd say max out the ram and you have yourself a great 'starter mac'.
:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
Reaction score
Indiana; there's more than just corn here
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
Used mac mini G4 with airport and bluetooth will easily be obtained for around 500 dollars US. Check out eBay, my friend had that exact mac for months and it was a great computer. He traded it for an iBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
Used is the only way here, while the mini Solo is great you don't want to spend to much cash on something you may regret.

OP
R

Rcadden

Thanks for the feedback, and the links. I'm confused still with the processors and whatnot, and coming from Windows, a bit appalled at the amount of RAM these systems have. I have heard though that Macs don't require as much RAM as Windows. That first link from above (thanks, btw) has a G3 iBook for $250. Here's the specs:

System configuration:
12-inch iBook
500MHz G3 processor
320MB RAM
30GB Hard Drive
CD-ROM Drive
2- USB ports
1- Firewire port
56K modem
Ethernet port
Battery/Power adapter

Other than not having wireless (not a huge deal for a starter/tester like this) is there any reason why this would be a bad choice? The website says it's preloaded with OS 9.2.

1. How close/similar is that to the latest OS?
2. How much would it cost to update that to the newest OS?
3. Would such a system even RUN the newest OS? (When answering this question, please keep in mind what I'm using it for. It's no use to me if it runs, but SLOWLY, as that's my main complaint about my Windows laptop)

I think I'd rather have a laptop, as I don't currently have an extra monitor. Thanks for the mini suggestions, though. Thanks again for being so helpful guys. Mac users sure are friendly!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Rcadden said:
That first link from above (thanks, btw) has a G3 iBook for $250. ...
Other than not having wireless (not a huge deal for a starter/tester like this) is there any reason why this would be a bad choice?
...ummmm
D3v1L80Y said:
G3 iMacs and iBooks are likely going to be the best choice, so keep an eye out for one of them.
:black:
Rcadden said:
1. How close/similar is that to the latest OS?
2. How much would it cost to update that to the newest OS?
3. Would such a system even RUN the newest OS? (When answering this question, please keep in mind what I'm using it for. It's no use to me if it runs, but SLOWLY, as that's my main complaint about my Windows laptop)
OS 9 is nothing like OS X.
You can find copies of OS X 10.3 for around $50 or so on eBay and the like.
As long as you max out the RAM, you won't have any problems with the OS running slow or sluggish on that machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
My wife has an iBook G3 500MHz with 256MB ram and OS X 10.3. It's a stable, setup, but not that fast. The more ram the better. Don't bother with OS 9. Almost nobody uses it anymore. Get OS 10.2 or higher. The main thing the ibooks have going for them is the small footprint. You can add wireless for about $70 on ebay. To see full specs and comments on lots of used models check out www.lowendmac.com, and www.everymac.com. FYI you can run linux on the dual usb ibooks quite well (and its free!).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.16 GHZ C2D 120 MB HD Mac Mini Duo 2 GB ram
Depending on your budget you might look at a used G4 mini, it will be allow you to accomplish all of your needs without having to pay a premium price for a new computer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
Emacs have great performance per dollar

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
On the N80 sync thing, don't worry about it. I just hooked up my SE K750i with iSync with the following two steps:

* pair my phone with my macbook
* get iSync to search for devices

That's it. I've never even got my Windows machine to sync properly with the cable, yet the mac did it first time over bluetooth in less than a minute.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
The only mac I have is my iBook, specs are on the side/sig. I would say the most demanding program I have for it is Photoshop CS-1, and it doesn't run all that bad with 256MB of RAM. Just slap in a 512 stick in place of the 128 and it will be a fairly fast machine. I wouldn't reccomend getting Tiger on a G3, it would run slow, but Panther is just fine, and all you're really missing is Spotlight and Dashboard, basically pointless stuff to take up space. If you want the widgets, just get the Yahoo Widgets program.

It doesn't have built in bluetooth for phones and stuff, but you can get a USB Bluetooth Device for cheap, and Panther comes with iSync. The only thing about the G3 that I don't like is the 10GB hard Drive, but sometime this summer I'll buy a bigger HD for it.

OP
R

Rcadden

I greatly appreciate all the answers/suggestions. I'm bidding on an iBook right now, if I don't get it then I'm probably going to go with the one from that website. I decided I definitely want to stick with the laptops, I just love the portability. And for under $300, it'll give me probably the cheapest way I can check everything out. Apparently there's a difference in Panther and Tiger, but both are 10.X OS. Are they similar? Apparently 9.X isn't close. As long as I get an OS that's 10.something, I should be getting an idea of the newest OS, correct? Am I missing anything with Panther that I'd have in Tiger?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Rcadden said:
Am I missing anything with Panther that I'd have in Tiger?
The only difference that I notice that is: Tiger (10.4) has Dashboard (widget apps) and Spotlight (desktop searching). There is probably a performance advantage to installing 10.3 (panther) instead of either 10.2 or 10.4 (Apple trimmed the fat code-wise going from jaguar to panther, but added features that require faster hardware going from panther to tiger).

Good Luck. I think you'll lke OS-X. Even fairly old Apple hardware is nice.

OP
R

Rcadden

Yeah I have no use for Widgets or Spotlight. I tried the enw Opera 9 with Widgets and wasn't impressed, and desktop searching, well, I keep track of my stuff. Panther it is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.