• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Making DVD on Mac, but burning from PC?

Reaction score
I have an ibook, without a superdrive. I want to convert a couple of home movies from my camcorder to DVD. Is it possible to create the DVD, then move the files to my PC and use Nero to burn the video files to a DVD.

I have a DVD writer on the PC, and I won't get a chance to get an external for the ibook anytime soon..

Some of you may wonder why I just don't make the DVD on the PC, but I really like Idvd and Imovie, as I used to do this all of the time when i still had my Powerbook.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I don't know much about Nero, but if it's respectable burning software it should burn .dmg files right? (I say this b/c Toast on Mac can burn ISOs).

Anywho, you could create your DVD in iDVD and create a disk image by clicking File>Save As... Disk Image.

Copy that to an external drive or a data DVD and copy it over to the PC and start burning...I have no first-hand experience doing this, but it *should* work fine...depending on Nero's credibility. :mac: Good Luck.

L

Logan

There's two routes to burn a DVD movie with Nero.

Use *.iso files (an image format like *.DMG) using Burn Image to Disc...

Nero Fiel Support for images: .nri, .nr3, .nrw, .nr4, .nra, .nrm, .nre, .nrv, .nsd, .nrd, .nmd, .nhv, .nrb, .nrs, .nrh, .nru, .nrc, .nrg, .nhf, .iso, .cue

OR! Burn the *.vob files via a DVD Movie compilation... doesn't look like iMovie can export videos in these formats,

what program are you using for the Mac conversion to the PC?

OP
B
Reaction score
Logan said:
There's two routes to burn a DVD movie with Nero.

what program are you using for the Mac conversion to the PC?

I'm not using any tools for the conversion. That is kinda what I am looking for. It's easy to copy the DMG file to a network share, but to get it to actually work on a disc is my worry... I thought that the Dmg file would have to be converted to ISO somehow.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.