do the new g4 ibooks have the logic board problem??

T

tmjf_sifu

can anyone tell me anything about this? i am putting my ibook purchase on hold until i know. there are a lot of people out there with doodoo ibooks that keep failing and apple will not acknowledge a design flaw. no way i am buying it if there is still a problem.

OP
J

jonnyturner

i keep hearing about this problem too and it worries me as i just bought my ibook 2 weeks ago! Ive had no problems at all yet with mine and it runs like a dream, incidentally my dad bought one at the same time from a different supplier and his is also fine.

Obviously when more than one person discovers the same flaw it tends to bring these problems to light and more than often not it starts a media circus. Im just hoping that its not too much of a widespread thing. man it makes you paranoid

personally id buy your ibook and enjoy it, i think youd have to pretty unlucky to get a bad one. but thats just my opinion

OP
P

PRinMD

jonnyturner said:
i keep hearing about this problem too and it worries me as i just bought my ibook 2 weeks ago! Ive had no problems at all yet with mine and it runs like a dream, incidentally my dad bought one at the same time from a different supplier and his is also fine.

Obviously when more than one person discovers the same flaw it tends to bring these problems to light and more than often not it starts a media circus. Im just hoping that its not too much of a widespread thing. man it makes you paranoid

personally id buy your ibook and enjoy it, i think youd have to pretty unlucky to get a bad one. but thats just my opinion
That so true, have one for about a month now, no problems yet, knock on wood, she's just a purrrring away :D

OP
T

tmjf_sifu

StarManta said:
These logic board problems are covered under warranty, correct?

from what i can gather from the poor souls who have had the problem, the repairs are covered under the one year warranty. the problem is that these people are having to send their machines in three of four times before they get a replacement. i simply CANNOT do this as i heavily depend on having a stable computing platform. additionally, many of these people have their boards fail soon after they go out of warranty. i have also heard reports of ibooks being damaged by service technicians and then shipped back to the owner with no explanation.

OP
T

tmjf_sifu

jonnyturner said:

jonny,
are you having the creaking wrist pad problem or any problems with loose frame and creaks? has your cpu fan come on at all and if so, how loud is it?

OP
T

tmjf_sifu

jonnyturner said:

one more thing, how do your speakers sound? anyone?

OP
J

jonnyturner

no creaking or anything, i think ive heard the fan spin up noticeably once, well at least i only ever heard it once for a minute or two, i think that was cos the ibook was sat on my bed being used for quite some time so obviously the base was insulated and the heat wasnt escaping as well as it should be. but only to be expected. on the whole its quiet as a mouse, im amazed to be honest just how quiet it is, even when running photoshop 8 etc etc.

im really impressed with the build quality, it feels sturdy and well made.

as for the speakers, they are comparable to an old G3 imac, very sharp and crystal clear but obviously no real bass response, which is to be expected from 2 tiny tweeters. clear and very crisp though, ive watched a few movies and not had a problem :)

i know how you feel, i hate reading these scare stories after ive just shelled out £1000 on a brand new ibook, but to **** with it, ill guarantee that you could choose any pc/mac and if you research it enough you'll find a small number of people with the same specific problem that have all posted a thread on it. i think you'd have to be very unlucky to get a duff unit.

OP
T

tmjf_sifu

excellent info, thanks for the reply. that makes me feel much better.

when i have played with the beat up display models in the store, i was impressed with how well the ibook had held up and with the construction quality. i also thought the speakers were pretty good. i hate the fact they are white, but it definitely makes them stand out. i am anal retentive and love to clean stuff, so i should be happy with that i guess.

anywayz, i have been thinking about it and i have come to the following conclusions.

pretty much all of the horror stories i have heard refer to the older ibooks and "dual usb" ibooks, whatever those are. i have yet to see or hear of anyone complaining of logic board problems with their g4 800 mhz 12". from what i can gather, there have been some design and component changes in this new version which may have remedied the situation. either way, i am so ready for something different that i am willing to take the chance. i don't exactly have money to throw away on a lemon, but it is just as probable that i will get a lemon pc. i have heard of jillions of people with problematic dells, compaqs, etc. and now they are outsourcing their tech support to india??? yikes and no thanks. regardless, the only problems i have heard of so far with the new ibooks are sleep, track pad and OS issues. and you simply CANNOT get the same collection of hardware and capabilities in a pc for such a great price.

additionally, i also started to look at things from this aspect. i compare the purchase of a laptop to purchasing a car, equally as scary and important to daily function. now you can go with the old faithful, tame, safe economy box, but if you want to do something different or step outside your safe little box, you have to take some chances. for instance, bmw's are widely recognized as exciting, performance vehicles. they are a joy to drive, look cool and not everyone has the guts or the money to purchase one. alternatively, they can be horrid money pits. they are tempermental, require frequent servicing and usually must be taken to the extremely expensive dealership for service. hopefully, all this is done under warranty and sometimes you get a gem which really needs very little work. i am feeling the same about the ibook. it may be a bit tempermental, it may have some issues, it will definitely require getting used to, but i have to take the good with the bad. i should feel fortunate that my last laptop lasted 4 years without a single problem. i pray that will be my experience with apple. from what i have heard, they have an excellent tradition of quality, i just have to hope that they have returned to this tradition with the new ibook improvements.

t

OP
J

jonnyturner

well said, enjoy your purchase, im certain you will, i couldnt have asked for a better laptop computer than my ibook ;) (well maybe a 17" Powerbook but im not rich)

enjoy and feel free to mail me if you want to know anything more

[email protected]

OP
J

jerome

Well, I have a 13-month old dead 800mhz/G3 ibook that failed due to the logic board. I didn't buy an extended warranty because I thought I was buying a quality product. I don't know if you can imagine how annoying it is to see pictures and stories all over the net of people with the exact same issue, and then have Apple say they have never heard of this problem before. I bought a 1500 lemon and Apple refuses to admit it. I would pay to have it fixed, but with all of the reports of it happening to the same ibook 4-5 times, I think I would be throwing (more of)my money away.Am I supposed to pay 500us every few months to keep this ibook running? Obviously not. I have to let it sit here I guess. So Apple should recall this pretty white paperweight or fix it for free. If nothing else,Apple is getting so much bad press it's ridiculous. Customer service is of no help. I have completely lost faith in Apple, they may as well be Micro$oft.

OP
J

jonnyturner

sorry to hear about that, yeah its kinda (very) crappy and i can sympathise with your problem totally, again though, this is the older G3 ibook and not the newer G4

I havent had any problems with my G4 so cant comment.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.