• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Freeware for converting MP4 files to formats recognized by iDVD?

Reaction score
pretty much the title says it all.

i have a movie that is .MP4 format but is pretty much 700MB so it takes up the whole CD-R and kinda freezes up now and again.

im looking for a program [for free] that lets me convert this mp4 video into a format that iDVD will upload.

the reason for all this you ask? well i was thinking i would cut the disks data in half and instead of having one disk with 700MB i would burn it to two disks with 350MB each.

another question. do u think my problem with the skipping is because the disk has too much info, or do you think the video is damaged?

thanks for anythink you guys can think of,

-adam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
The skipping could be caused by either very high compression, thus making the processor work hard to decode it, or very high resolution video. For example, my desktop machine (a PC running slackware) cannot play 1080p HD videos due to the resolution, although the macbook has no such issue ;)

As for conversion, VLC has conversion capabilities (certainly there is a wizard interface for some common conversions). I usually use command line utilities such as ffmpeg (an *excellent* mpeg encoder with very easy command line options. e.g. '-target pal-dvd' to encode to pal-dvd compatible mpeg) or mencoder, that comes bundled with mplayer.

OP
I
Reaction score
yes but does converting the Video to another format with ffmpeg resolve my high compression issue?

im wanting to dispense this single DVD-R disks info into two seperate disks thus relieving the load on the computer when it tries and play the disk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.