Help - Going for Graphic Design Job need 2 do serious cramming!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo
Hi there
This might sound a little bit crazy, but a graphic design job has come up in work and I am tempted to go for it. The only problem being, I don't know how to use Illustrator or Indesign. I have had some experience of Photoshop, and have done a few bits and pieces of graphic design for friends, but have virtually no experience in Pre-press.
The reason I am going for it is because I have always wanted to get into design, but just haven't had any opportunties before, apart from the odd freelance stuff (also, the cost of buying software in order to get to know it is prohibitive). I have spoken to the guy in the design department and he said it was still worth applying, as attitude and character etc. is just as important. He couldn't really say either way, but if it was a complete no-no I'm sure he would have said. I have been working in a completely different department for a while, and I think I've proved myself as a trustworthy, loyal and reliable employee.
So, basically, the way I figure, I'm just going to do a self-taught crash course in Illustrator and Indesign and do my best to churn out a load of examples for my portfolio.
Can anyone give some advice on how to go about this? I'm going to download trials of the Adobe software and maybe get some 'Dummies' books from the library, but if you can think of any idea it would be really appreciated! (be nice to me as I am a Newbie!!! Cheers!)
Thanx!!

Reaction score
I would just go and fiddle about with the different programs you are using. Have a look at some tips on the 'net etc. Personally, I dont find books and use.
I have learnt everything I do by myself. So just have a go and see what you can do...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I was in your same position. There was a job opening for graphic designer, I didn't know much about Adobe apps, and they said "experience preferred, but not necessary".

I applied, and somehow got the job. I had InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop down in about 3 days. They're really not that hard at all to learn.

I'd say go for the job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
True, anyone with a book can learn the basics of the Adobe programs. The real test is a person's creativity and design ability. The programs are only as good as the person creating something from them.

So my best advice is this...

Remember, there is no music in the piano.

if you don't get that line, then you probably aren't the creative type and perhaps you might need to focus on your designing and artistic ability first, and then learn the apps....

Reaction score
Hmm... it's all very good advice. But my two cents (or in other words, the pessimistic few lines needed to bring in contrast):

While Adobe Apps are easy to handle, and your creativity might be soaring, it depends on how comfortable you get wit the program. An itneresting aspect for me has always been that I hav a great idea, but don't know the steps in Adobe to make that happen. I would know each feature isolatedly, but putting them together in a workflow is tough. I work through tutorials on PS and say "Hey, why didn't I think of that" or "Wow, I didn't know you could do that with *name-of-tool*".

So you should assess how good you can move around and put the apps to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Yogi makes some excellent points.

However, if you need money as bad as I did when I got this job, you'll try very hard to get and keep this one. Don't claim to be a master at all Adobe apps, simply tell them you have *experience* and you will do your best. Then, your first few weeks will be learning the apps.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm. Thanks guys. Some really helpful thoughts there. You have encouraged me to go ahead with it, even though I feel totally overwhelmed with the amount of learning my puny little brain will have to endure over the next few weeks ;-).
The only downside to all of this is that I wil be working on a PC - but if it ever leads to a job elsewhere hopefully they will be Mac-based.

S

sbrad009

If it is for pre-press read up on CMYK and conversions. Make sure you understand how to adjust color, preferably using curves.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Didn't get the job! :-(

It came as no surprise that I didn't get the job. Apparently there were several others that applied who were light years ahead of me in experience, technical skils etc.

Bit of a bummer, really, but the good news is that I may end up doing some work for the department after all. They have asked me to do some work on a video project (after they'd seen some stuff I did for my own department). This is actually right up my street - I'm much more capable in video editing and stuff - so I'm pretty chuffed. Don't know if it will come of anything, but it certainly was good to get that news after hearing I didn't get the job. Thanks for all of your suggestions and ideas, guys. Much appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Mactimewarp said:
It came as no surprise that I didn't get the job. Apparently there were several others that applied who were light years ahead of me in experience, technical skils etc.

Bit of a bummer, really, but the good news is that I may end up doing some work for the department after all. They have asked me to do some work on a video project (after they'd seen some stuff I did for my own department). This is actually right up my street - I'm much more capable in video editing and stuff - so I'm pretty chuffed. Don't know if it will come of anything, but it certainly was good to get that news after hearing I didn't get the job. Thanks for all of your suggestions and ideas, guys. Much appreciated!

Just work on your skills and knowledege, and I'm sure you'll get the job next time! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Well, there is always next time. :)
Now you have time to focus on, learn and study up on the finer points of design fundamentals:
Gestalt principles, typography, heirarchy, color theory, grid structures and layout design...etc.
Once you start to get a handle on things like that, you will see your design ability increase ten-fold.
:black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.