That's It, Ive decided, I'm making the switch!!

A

Alicks

After a substantially long period of time pondering, researching, discussing, and seeking, I have finally decided that I want to make the switch from PC to Mac! My target product is a fully loaded 17" Macbook Pro. Before I go ahead and purchase this baby, I want to make sure I'm getting all that I can. First up, I will get in on the University Student Discount, and I also heard about this "free ipod nano" deal going on... (can someone link me?).. I think this is a pretty good hookup, but can someone reccomend me some extra deals? (ie: discounts on printers, speakers, accessories, etc with the purchase of my MBP)
I heard about all this business with "whining" and "over-heating" but it seems now that the problems are pretty much cleared up, and frankly I don't mind (too much) sending my MBP back in to get a new one, if something should happen.. big deal.
So can anyone reccomend to me that I do anything, buy anything, look into anything, etc before purchasing it?? I'm a pretty big accesory-wh0re so lay on the goods! Thanks!

OP
A

Alicks

Boo :( I just read up on that and it's not eligible for Canadians. Any fellow Canuks here who know some sweet deals?

[edit]
OooO nevermind I just went through with purchasing it online (via the canadian website) and it prompts me to get a free Ipod nano!

OP
I

iRizzo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2GHz 250 GB 2 GB RAM 256 MB VRAM, 80 GB 5.5G iPod, 8 GB iPhone
Alicks said:
Boo :( I just read up on that and it's not eligible for Canadians. Any fellow Canuks here who know some sweet deals?

[edit]
OooO nevermind I just went through with purchasing it online (via the canadian website) and it prompts me to get a free Ipod nano!

Hello d'are eh! lol I don't know of any other deals besides the Education Store. I hope you didn't get 2 gigs pre-installed because it's cheaper to get RAM after market. I'm still on the lookout to get some more.

OP
A

Alicks

iPodJon120 -> Oh really? how much cheaper? it is really worth the trouble? Wouldn't this break warranty or anything, and do I need special RAM?? *im totally new to mac*

About the Educational Discount, I havent fully gone through with the purchasing of it, but in the Shopping Cart there is no sign of rebates.. I went through with the University, student ID thing through the educational discount page.. so will it only show at the last stage of purchasing it, or is this a Mail-In rebate?? There isnt much sign of info on it on the site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2GHz 250 GB 2 GB RAM 256 MB VRAM, 80 GB 5.5G iPod, 8 GB iPhone
You can find a gig of RAM from about $100-$150 cheaper depending on the brand. There are a few sites that sell and ship in Canada, but most people recommend Crucial. I'm still trying to learn what all fees are involved with Crucial importing into Canada.

Adding RAM doesn't void the warranty, it is the only thing that is user-upgradable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The prices they show on the educational site already include the rebate AFAIK.

The regular retail price for the macbook pro 17" in canada is 3099 the student price is 2,848.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.