Ejecting a Disc in Windows via Boot Camp?

D

DeathToPCs

I am trying to install my windows XP Media Center in Boot Camp but it asks me to install the CD 2. I cant figure out how to eject the CD while in Boot Camp. The eject button on my keyboard wont work.

Is there a trick to it or am I just missing it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You can't do that. As the bootcamp instructions said you can only install XP SP2 and it must be on a single disk. There is no way to eject disks until you've installed XP and added the Mac drivers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Schweb's absolutely right, I just got XPsp2 running on my Mom's iMac and I thoroughly read the instructions. They're rather explicit in saying "One CD, XP, SP2".

If your having a problem getting the CD out, force power down (hold the power button), and on re-boot, hold down the mouse button. The CD should eject.

OP
D

DeathToPCs

Can i install xp home from a single disk and then install XP media center once that is on boot camp?

Reaction score
I too tried to install XP using bootcamp. As soon as I get to the first screen after making partitions it just freezes and the keyboard is not responsive other than the off button. I got the disc out by restarting it and pressing a combination of a few keys. I got it out once and tried again but I got to the same screen and was unable to press enter to continue the installation. Having come across this thread I tried pressing the mouse button on startup and it ejected the disc. So thanks to surfwax95 and this forum. Now I only have the issue of the inactive keyboard when installing xp.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Can i install xp home from a single disk and then install XP media center once that is on boot camp?

Since Media Center is on two CDs, why not just use your PC to burn both CDs to a DVD and install with that instead? Use a program like Nero, Ashampoo, or Roxio. That would be a lot easier than installing XP Home first and afterward Media Center.

Regards.

Reaction score
I too tried to install XP using bootcamp. As soon as I get to the first screen after making partitions it just freezes and the keyboard is not responsive other than the off button. I got the disc out by restarting it and pressing a combination of a few keys. I got it out once and tried again but I got to the same screen and was unable to press enter to continue the installation. Having come across this thread I tried pressing the mouse button on startup and it ejected the disc. So thanks to surfwax95 and this forum. Now I only have the issue of the inactive keyboard when installing xp.

The reason for this problem was because the windows XP disc wasn't the single disc XP with the service pack 2.

Having gotten a copy of xp with the sp2 in it allowed me to instal windows. When the computer reboots in Windows and its time to insert the OS installation disc to instal the drivers, the OSX disc unusable and opens as blank. I dont know what to do now.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What OS X disk are you using? You have to use your original Leopard disk.

Reaction score
xp

Hey I'm new to the mac, I had an original mac in 1980, think about how elegant the code had to be to run in 128K of ram? anyhow what I'm asking is i have an upgrade xp disc, it's the only one I could find, how do I put it and sp2 with the enable upgrade requisite 98 nor milenium disc recognized by the upgrade xp?

Reaction score
You must have a full install disk of XP SP2 or higher. Upgrade disks will not work in Boot Camp. You should print out the Boot Camp installation guide from the Apple site and read it very carefully, and follow it to the letter.

Cheers

Reaction score
eject disc in XP explorer doesn't work in bootcamp?

Hi,
i have been largely successfully running win xp via bootcamp for some time.
recently i have routine (every disc) trouble ejecting discs in the drive. by the way, i have installed properly and am aware of, and do try to eject from explore menu. it used to work - but no more.

is there any way to fix this?

i can eject by restarting in osx and using mac method - however i primarily use XP (waste i know) due to unresolved problems with pages ... music organisers other than itunes ... incapacity to read & write to external hard drive across both systems ..... so ... to save music as i purchase CDs i have to continually need to restart and eject in osx

making ... the process a right pain.

any help would be appreciated. cheers.

Reaction score
How to successfully install Media Center with 2 disks in Boot Camp

Copy the CMPNENTS folder from the 2nd disk to a usb flash memory stick, and make sure its connected prior to Windows setup. When it asks to load the second disk, click OK and change the drive letter from D: to E:

Works just fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.