• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Help me make "My Great DVD"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67GHz 15.2" Superdrive 1.5GB RAM
Hi all,
I created movies on Final Cut Express and now need to compile them with menus and selections with a couple of text files in a DVD. Basically, I need a menu where you can select the titles of the movies and they will play the movies then return to the start menu.

Sort of like the extras bit on a DVD movie.

I've tried playing with iDVD but I got confused.

And can someone explain to me what the different movie formats mean? I've exported all my data from FCE as quicktime (mostly uncompressed as I need the fine detail) files. Is that OK?

All help appreciated! (Oh, I have iLife 5)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
export as a reference or self contained movie from file>export>quicktime and use "current settings". that's all you need. I assume you use DV, so exporting as uncompressed video will make you DV several times bigger and make no sense as it will not improve quality.

DV is just another method of compression. people often confuse DV with uncompressed video, which is completely different thing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.