Procrastinating Switcher

Reaction score
Hello,
I have been lusting after Macs for a little while now.
First i wanted to wait for Tiger to come out. So i did. Then i waited for Apple to update one of their models (i dont remeber which one), so i did. Then their was talk about a switch to Intel chips, so i waited for that. Then they were updating models like crazy. Now i dont know what to do. I broke both one of my 2 laptops the day after i sold one of them to a friend. So i dont have a computer now. I am borrowing a friends computers at the moment, (which i can use most of the time i need it). Now with Leopard being shown off at WWDC in August. And rumors of NAND Flash Drives in Macbooks, Blu-Ray Drives, Conroe chips, and an Ultra Portable Mac. Im going crazy.
I had the luxury of waiting before, but now i dont know what to do.
I am the type of person who has a computer or electronic for 1-2 years, then i either break it or sell it. (its a curse)

I have been eyeing a Refurbished MacBook Pro (Refurbished ones will probably have the wireless/heat/battery/magsafe burning/other kinks fixed already). But i dont know what to do. I have to make my desicion in 2-3 weeks.

Please help with some advice.

ThanQ in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
buy a new intel based imac abd be happy with it. technology will always get outdated by new things so you cant always wait.

waiting for the intel switch is one thing but waiting for new os's etc is a bit mundane imho.
-chris

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
coach_z said:
buy a new intel based imac abd be happy with it. technology will always get outdated by new things so you cant always wait.

waiting for the intel switch is one thing but waiting for new os's etc is a bit mundane imho.
-chris

Agreed 100%! You can buy Leopard later and upgrade so it's really not an issue. I can see on the Intel switch. Go out and get the Intel Mac that fits your needs!

M

McNewbie

Above advices are great! You can never outrun/be ahead of tech there will always be a new thing to be released. The only thing that I could advice is that each time something that appeals to you comes out resell your Macbook and buy the new one and then continue the process from there, however, I would imagine you would loose $$$ by doing this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
There was a time in my life when I thought as you did. I always wanted to wait just a bit longer for that next big thing. When I finally did break down and buy what I wanted, something new would come out anyway.

Let's just say I'm over it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
McNewbie said:
Above advices are great! You can never outrun/be ahead of tech there will always be a new thing to be released. The only thing that I could advice is that each time something that appeals to you comes out resell your Macbook and buy the new one and then continue the process from there, however, I would imagine you would loose $$$ by doing this.

yes you would lose a large amount of money doing this, i mean a LARGE amount.

with a lot of the changes that are made you can usually wait a few years before you adopt to them. i was perfectly fine burning dvd's at 1x for 2 years until i got my 16x superdrive in my powermac

eddiddiums said:
There was a time in my life when I thought as you did. I always wanted to wait just a bit longer for that next big thing. When I finally did break down and buy what I wanted, something new would come out anyway.

Let's just say I'm over it.
yea we had a guy around here who wanted to wait and wait and make sure he got the newest thing ever and kept annoying us about it to the point where he got banned ;) lets all not be like caveatipss
-chris

OP
H
Reaction score
Alright, I think im ready to switch.
Ive been waiting for a while, but in the next 2-3 weeks, i am going to order my first mac.
Because of all of the different issues i hear Mac Notebooks having, i think that if i order a refurbished one directy from apple, i will save money, and it will have most all of the kinks worked out.
My current issue lies with the models and prices available.

MacBook Pro
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...6F1hfM/1.0.0.19.1.0.8.7.3.5.1.1.0.1.5.1.1.5.0

MacBook
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...6F1hfM/1.0.0.19.1.0.8.7.3.5.1.1.1.1.5.1.0.5.0

I have secured $1,500 from a friend who owed me for a while. If it goes over, i will have to pay out of pocket, which isnt a big issue, but i would like to spend the least money possible. (i bought a bunch of stuff recently)
My question is, are 2" more screen, 512 MB of Ram, 20 GB of HD, a dedicated video card, and a few other nifty features worth $700.
I want something top of the line. I will be maxing out the performance on any computer that i buy. I just want to know that with current market prices for parts, do those extra specs make sense with that much more $.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
Unfortunately the links you posted do not work, probably because you were signed into Apple's website at the time.
As for the question of more stuff, for more money, I think that the things you mentioned are worth it, especially since screen size alone is a major upgrade, but, do you really want a bigger screen? Many people that I have talked to about the latest notebooks from Apple have chosen not to get a MacBook Pro for the simple reason of size vs. performance. The MB can handle it's own against a MBP in almost all areas except 3D and it is much easier to tote around.
So you should figure out what you will be using the laptop for, and just as importantly, where you will be using it.

OP
H
Reaction score
About the MBP
It seems to cost $200 more to get .16 GHz more CPU
Is it work it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Assess your personal needs:Is a large screen on the road a necessity? Do you need powerful 3d graphics? What are some apps you use? If you have no need to run the latest 3D games, 3D rendering applications or things like aperture or motion that depend on a powerful video card, then I'd go with a regular Macbook and get a large monitor to go with it for use at home, if you can't live with the 13" screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.