Should I get it now?, or wait for apples' new OS

P

polo

Hi,

I'm plannning to buy a new iMac-17inch, but I dont know if I should wait for apples' new OS ( X Leopard) as new drivers like(blue-ray discs drivers) might come out soon with the new OS.

Reaction score
If you are not in a hurry or emergency to buy the iMac or any other mac, wait (i am waiting too).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You can always buy the new OS when it comes out and upgrade. I really, really, really doubt we'll see an iMac with a blue-ray drive any time in the foreseeable future.

Reaction score
polo said:
thanks coltssaturday.

your welcome

schweb said:
You can always buy the new OS when it comes out and upgrade. I really, really, really doubt we'll see an iMac with a blue-ray drive any time in the foreseeable future.

Thats right but the new Intel conroe chip will probably be in the iMac with Leopard when it ships (as far i think).

So if you can and want to wait, do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not a big fan of the "wait" philosophy. There will always be the next "new thing" coming out. If you keep waiting, you'll never get anything. ;)

Reaction score
schweb said:
I'm not a big fan of the "wait" philosophy. There will always be the next "new thing" coming out. If you keep waiting, you'll never get anything. ;)

i agree.

i'm not either. But i was saying IF you have something that will work for you right now then you can wait for the next big thing. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
no one even knows when this os is coming out, you are going to be waiting for a date you dont even know. if you want the computer and need it now then buy it. if not and you feel the need and have the ability to wait then go for it and wait.

-chris

Reaction score
coach_z said:
no one even knows when this os is coming out, you are going to be waiting for a date you dont even know. if you want the computer and need it now then buy it. if not and you feel the need and have the ability to wait then go for it and wait.

-chris

thats exactly the way i wanted it to be worded, the 2nd and the 3rd sentence sum this thread up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Most likely yes, however nothing has been released about the new OS so no one can say for sure at this point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
my guess is the powerbook could run leopard, but there's not enough info. Apple is not trying to phase out the PPC chip, they're just switching over newer machines to Intel. If they did switch over to EVERYTHING Intel, they'd lose a lot of older customers... and everyone would have to buy Intel macs.

Hey, that'd be a good move on their part...

Reaction score
Indiana; there's more than just corn here
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
If I was you I would wait for the new Intel processors as they seem to be absurdly powerful. Now take this with a grain of salt but I would bet on seeing the new desktop intel processor next month and the mobile one in august.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I would wait for the next Intel machine to come out........
then, you might as well wait for the next release of OS X to come out.....
THEN, since you waited for that, I would wait for the next machine revision update to come out............
and since you are going to wait that long, just wait until the OS X update comes out first....
then wait until at least the Rev. D of the machine.....
and if you are going to wait THAT long, then wait until the next upgrade/update on the machine comes out...

etc, etc, etc, etc.

:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Even I was hesitant on going for the iMac....So I decided to wait (April). Someone said the new iMac (2.33Ghz is round the corner). I waited still more (may).

Screw it. I bought the iMac 20 inch and I don't regret it...

BiT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel core duo iMac. 15.4" MBP, 100GB, 256MB vRAM, 1GB RAM, 2.16GHz
Would Leopard work on my MBP?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yes, Leopard will work great on your MBP. It will most likely work on all the G4 Macs, just not sure about G3's anymore. I SERIOUSLY doubt though that any G4 machine will not work with Leopard. But like Schweb pointed out, till it's out we really don't know anything for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2GHz 250 GB 2 GB RAM 256 MB VRAM, 80 GB 5.5G iPod, 8 GB iPhone
There is supposed to be a preview/details about Leopard in August for developers at the WWDC but when the OS is actually going to be released is anyones guess.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.