Best system for me?

J

Jonathan

Hey guys - what would be a better system for myself here.

I will be running these aps, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Flash, Dreamweaver.

What is the better system for me? Thanks.

PowerBook G4
PowerPC G4 CPU 1.5 GHz
1.25 GB DDR SDRAM
12.1" active matrix TFT
nVidia GeForce FX5200 AGP (64 MB)
USB 2.0 + FireWire 400
Modem + 10/100 Ethernet
Airport Extreme + Bluetooth 2.0 EDR
Combo Drive (CDRW/DVD)
60 GB Hard Drive
Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger"

or this

MacBook
1.83GHz Intel Core Duo
1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512
60GB Serial ATA drive
Combo Drive
Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
pfft... just look at the specs... LOOK AT THE SPECS! Macbook blows the powerbook out of the water... except... ooooooh you need cs2 and dreamweaver? won't work well on an Intel mac... I've heard reports that they're all right but for the most part it's unbearably slow due to rosetta. I say you wait until CS3 is released as well as a new Dreamweaver, THEN get the Macbook.

OP
J

Jonathan

I won't be using CS 2 if I don't have to, would the PB be a bad decision?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
Im debating the same exact thing. I like the size of the 12 inch Powerbook, but the macbook has better specs. Also, I cannot stand the glossy screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The PB isn't bad at all. In fact, for your needs and applications listed, it is far better than the MacBook.
CS2 suite isn't Universal yet, so the PPC processor wins there.
Dedicated GPU and not shared so again it wins.

The PB is better hands down.

OP
J

Jonathan

Yes but once the universal aps come out will the PB be worthless or will it be able to keep up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Jonathan said:
Yes but once the universal aps come out will the PB be worthless or will it be able to keep up?
No, of course it won't be worthless... why on earth would you even think that??
I have run Photoshop on G3 iMacs that are 8 years old and they "keep up" just fine. Whoever tells you that your machine is going to be "worthless" because something newer and bigger and brighter and "faster"...etc comes out is a moron who has no idea what he is talking about.
Newer does not equate to something being "better".

OP
Z

zap2

Jonathan said:
The guy from the Apple store told me that tonight lol.

i would say me either meant 1) Worthless when put agianst a MacBook 2) That perhaps he think CS3 will need very powerful computer to run, and a PowerBook will have trouble running it. Also it possible Cs2 will fit you needs better even when CS3 comes out, as it might not add features you add, but it will take a faster computer. Go PowerBook if you want you work to be done right NOW, get a MacBook(with maxed RAM, you'll need more th 1Gb when using a PPC app on a x86 Mac, especaily when it is an App like CS2 and such) that would last longer

On a different note

Do they still sell PowerBooks at your local Apple store? Because i know mine has none left

Reaction score
I currently am using Dreamweaver 8 and Fireworks 8. Both are slower than my Windows machine, but mainly on loading. Once they are loaded the run fine. I cannot comment on Photoshop. Be sure to get AT LEAST 1 GB of RAM. I would be tempted to max it to 2. RAM helps Rosetta alot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.