• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

osx on a pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Skid

hey guys well i got a copy of osx 86 and i installed it on my pc it runs GREAT just having some driver issues with the network card does anybody know of any wireless USB cards that will work with osx i have herd that realtec has drivers built into osx and that the netgear cards use a realtec shipset can anyone confirm that???

btw my pc specs

intel p4 3.0 ghz w/HT
2 GB DDR2
geforce 6600 256 MB ram
watercooled

i am tring to dualboot osx with windows (for gaming) and i need the internet to update the os and also dl bootcamp thanks for any help guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You will not receive help here. You are using an illegal pirated version of OS X. We do not allow discussion of warez.

Please take this as your only warning and I'd recommend reading the forum rules.

OP
S

Skid

hey bro i do know the rules and i never said it was a pirated copy i bought it well came with my mbp thought i would see if it would work on my pc it worked if i can get drivers then i will buy another legit copy i don't have a problem supporting apple and the fine products they make

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
I think the point that schweb is making is that the license agreement for Apple OS is pretty clear that it is only meant to run on Apple hardware and any other use is prohibited. Like it or not that makes it illegal, and it puts the forum owners at great risk if they allow discussion of such things on their boards.

OP
S

Skid

OH ok i understand now well then schweb i'm sorry that i made this thread i didn't know that apple prohibited it from any other uses besides apple hardware you can go ahead and delete or lock this thread then once again sry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Hmmm, I always thought the copies of the OS that came with new Macs would only work on the Machine type they came with. I.E my G4 iBook discs wouldn't work on my G4 desktop, an iBook disc wouldn't work with an iMac, and so on. Is that no longer true with the Intel machines?

OP
Z

zap2

Can a install disk from a intel mac really work with a normal PC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
zap2 said:
Can a install disk from a intel mac really work with a normal PC?
No, it wouldn't. Not to mention that it would be illegal if it was possible.
So, let's all think a moment before we post any further on this.

:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
baggss said:
Hmmm, I always thought the copies of the OS that came with new Macs would only work on the Machine type they came with. I.E my G4 iBook discs wouldn't work on my G4 desktop, an iBook disc wouldn't work with an iMac, and so on. Is that no longer true with the Intel machines?

Yeah I tried to install tiger on my ibook using a set of powerbook disc's and it didn't work for me. But I've heard people say they'd used there Intel Mac OS X install disc's to do the X86 install before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
johninc said:
Yeah I tried to install tiger on my ibook using a set of powerbook disc's and it didn't work for me. But I've heard people say they'd used there Intel Mac OS X install disc's to do the X86 install before.

boot your ibook into target disk mode then plug it into your powerbook and select it? It's worked for my iMac (g3 400mhz).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
baggss said:
It depended on the machine. I had an older machine where disks would work with any Mac, which came in useful one time while I was traveling, but then the newer ones would only work with their specific machine sometimes. However I don't think that is universally true.

As for the rest of this thread, I'm just going to go ahead and lock it since some people, *cough* zap2 *cough*, continue to want to talk about things that are not allowed to be talked about on this forum as I stated earlier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Skid said:
OH ok i understand now well then schweb i'm sorry that i made this thread i didn't know that apple prohibited it from any other uses besides apple hardware you can go ahead and delete or lock this thread then once again sry
No problem, also think about it this way:

I'm sure you still have it on your Mac and now you're installing it on another machine. Even if the Apple license allowed you to install it on non-Apple hardware, you still only have license for one machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.