• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Moving On From G3 iBook - What Should I Buy Now?

F

fumomo

I just found a buyer for my G3 800MHz, 640MB RAM, 30GB hard drive iBook and am completely confused about what to replace it with.

I thought it would just be a matter of choosing either a laptop (MacBook) or desktop (iMac) but on doing some reading I see that it's a bit more complicated than that! I suppose my real question is: should I go for a G5 or one of the new Intel models?

I know that Rosetta needs a lot more RAM to run PowerPC apps on the Intel machines (about 2-3x more, I heard) so if I were to get one then I would definitely be getting an extra 512MB to get the RAM up to 1GB. But maybe that's not even necessary if I'm not using PowerPC apps all the time; I do use Photoshop, Microsoft Office and Dreamweaver but not on a daily basis. What do you chaps think?

Maybe I should get a G5 and wait until all the problems with the new Intels are sorted out? Are we still on Rev A?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
I say go for Intel. Slowly, Apple is switching all of it's focus to Intel, and even though PPC will not be gone for a while, it will eventually be gone.

BTW got a copy of Office, and MS Word runs just fine with 512 RAM- I find that SOME PPC apps run fine under Rosetta, others lag so much it's not even funny.

I believe we are still on Rev A, but if You're getting an iMac, there have been no problems with the 17". Mine works just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
My wife and I just switched to Macs and we have a macbook and mac mini. We love them both and the Intel processors are very fast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I say since you had an old g3, this shows you like to keep your computers for a while. so my recommendation would be to buy the best computer that you can afford with the most ram, etc, that way you will be able to hold onto it for a long time down the road.

OP
F

fumomo

Thanks for the advice. I'm still umming and ahhing about the Intels but I have decided to get one of the 17" iMacs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
intel

hi

since you're jumping two generations to a g5 intel imac

the leap will feel like something awesome coming from a 3 . we have a g3 g4

and g5 the new macbook just made macs faster and faster and

faster. truly superb machine.

regards

OP
F

fumomo

I decided to go with the Intel instead of G5 as a lot of people have said that they are likely to be more "futureproof". This morning I put in an order for the 17" iMac and I'll see how I go with 512MB RAM for now. I can't wait for it to arrive!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.