Parallels Desktop for Mac officially released!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2GHz 250 GB 2 GB RAM 256 MB VRAM, 80 GB 5.5G iPod, 8 GB iPhone
Sweet. I should probably order a copy before it goes up.

UPDATE: So I ordered a copy. Do they send you a CD as well, or just give you the CD key?

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
iPodJon120 said:
Sweet. I should probably order a copy before it goes up.

UPDATE: So I ordered a copy. Do they send you a CD as well, or just give you the CD key?

I believe just the CD key. It's only a 23 meg download, so if you're on broadband it only takes a minute or two. I can't remember if there was a CD option or not. At any rate, I opted just to get the CD key via email and download it off their website.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
After you install it and mess around with it can you post your experiences with it? Pros and Cons?

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
alucard said:
After you install it and mess around with it can you post your experiences with it? Pros and Cons?

Will do! My new hard drive for my Intel Mini comes in today, so I'll be testing it with a 2ghz Core Duo processor, 2 gigs of ram, and a 7200rpm 100gb hard drive. Ooh I'm excited!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
kaidomac said:
Will do! My new hard drive for my Intel Mini comes in today, so I'll be testing it with a 2ghz Core Duo processor, 2 gigs of ram, and a 7200rpm 100gb hard drive. Ooh I'm excited!

Is the new drive internal or external? If its an external what model/type did you get?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iRizzo said:
So is this like Boot Camp? Sorry but I don't quite get it.

With Boot Camp you need to reboot in order to from one OS to another (either OSX or XP).

With Parallels you stay within the OSX interface but you have a seperate window that has XP on it. It's like virtual pc or vmware, but hopefully much, much better.

I

iRizzo

So can you play Counter-Strike(or any Windows game for that matter) on it? Is it still possible to get a virus when running on Windows? Thanks.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
alucard said:
Is the new drive internal or external? If its an external what model/type did you get?

I picked up an internal 2.5" Seagate 100gb 7200rpm drive. I was originally planning on running Boot Camp on the Mini; had I known that Parallels would release an official version this earlier I would have just gone with a MiniStack v2. Boot Camp won't run with XP on an external hard drive, at least without a bit of a hack.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
iRizzo said:
So can you play Counter-Strike(or any Windows game for that matter) on it? Is it still possible to get a virus when running on Windows? Thanks.

Counter-Strike's performance would most likely be terrible. If you want to play games, get a MacBook Pro (good video card) and use Boot Camp. My brother is doing this with his; Half-Life 2 runs flawlessly at 1440x900 on his 15.4" MBP in XP through Boot Camp. Yes, it is definately still possible to get a virus when running on Windows. It most likely won't affect your OS X installation, however. If you take the proper precautions you'll be fine (don't visit bad sites or download illegal files; run a firewall, anti-virus app, and adware/spyware programs).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, it's meant to run various OS's in a virtual environment not natively to run an OS or apps you can't run in OS X. I wanted this because I am taking an IT course and we play around with different OS's and I can set up a virtual Server/Client network with Windows and Linux without having to boot seperately into each OS on my Mac. I'll post how I like it later on when I get a chance play around with it. Unfortunatly, I read that PD can't run Vista Beta at this time yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
iRizzo said:

Games will not be playable because it is virtualization. You do not have direct access to the 3D accelerator in your computer because it is not the actual OS. The only way to play Window's games at this point on your mac is to install Boot Camp and run Window's natively.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Moved to correct forum. This is neither an Apple product nor an Apple rumor.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
schweb said:
Moved to correct forum. This is neither an Apple product nor an Apple rumor.

Knowing Apple it will be an OS X feature with the next release ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
It might be but last time I checked, this was not an Apple product. ;)

L

Logan

Yeah virtual desktops are cool, but they tend to be RAM intensive and also processor intensive.. You're usually better off just swapping back in forth in my opinion.

All OS's take too much CPU and RAM to run multiple ones at the same time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True, but you can control how much RAM a particular OS takes up and if you run just the OS with the exception of a few small apps, it should run pretty decent. Especially if you have upgraded to 2 GB of RAM.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.