Recording with factory Macbook pro soundcard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16ghz 15" MacBook Pro, black 30gb ipod video, black 2gb Nano.
I record mixies from my turntables mixer into a soundcard that i had to buy for my windows machine so i wouldnt blow the factory sound card. Now, if i want to record straight from my mixer into my new Macbook Pro, can i just record straight into the input port on my laptop or do i have to get another soundcard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz 15" MacBook Pro, black 8GB iPod nano, white 30GB iPod video, white 20GB iPod photo
No, you don't need a new soundcard. The line-in input is what you use. I have a Behringer 5-channel mixer, so I use an RCA to 1/8" cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
No, you don't need a new soundcard. The line-in input is what you use. I have a Behringer 5-channel mixer, so I use an RCA to 1/8" cable.

Actually, you should have really asked the guy where he's running his output from, because if the output is powered, it can do bad things.

Usually the mixer for the tables should have a line out, but just make sure before you just go plugging random outputs to your MBP. What type of mixer is it? If you let us know.

Reaction score
Actually, you should have really asked the guy where he's running his output from, because if the output is powered, it can do bad things.

Usually the mixer for the tables should have a line out, but just make sure before you just go plugging random outputs to your MBP. What type of mixer is it? If you let us know.

I take it it is a DJ mixer, which will have RCA line level outs. Its should be fine as TeaJayNg said.

As far as the "powered" issue goes, If it refers to phantom power (48V)..well....if you have that running on your outputs then you are doing something seriously wrong.

To sum up: you should be fine. I fully agree with Village Idiot that you should be careful what you plug in, so good job asking first. You have no idea what I have seen some people plug in there.

Let us know how it sounds!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Nah when VI Mentionend powered outs, I think they were more referring to outputs from the power amp section of the rig as apposed to something phantom powered.

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
hey all, old post but perfect for me, setup:

2 x 1210
1 x 5 channel mixer
1 x Serato
1 x Mac Book Pro
1 x Mic for Singer
====================

I tried recording our set last week using line-in - it came out quite heavy/distoted so i am looking for an audio interface as also want vocals recording seperate

pls can you give me some suggestions? cheapish pls!

cheers

caynick
minx parties
cayman islands

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.