• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple sound codecs cutting out at 15khz?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
Apple audio codecs cutting out at 15khz?

Trailing that story about the cellphone ringtone that;s only audible to teenagers (allegedly), I came upon this page where you can play various files ranging from 10,000 Hz through 22,000 Hz.

I just noticed that Quicktime and iTunes both quit emitting any sounds above 15K. Nope, it's not the speakers. I tried it out on two different Windows PCs, one P4 with Winamp with high$$$ speakers and another one, 7 years old with el cheapo speakers/WMP10 and I can hear them all the way up to 21K on both Windows machines, but only up to 15K on my Mac mini with mid-range speakers. Then I swapped speakers around. Still the same, it's not the speakers, it's the sound Apple/Quicktime sound codec.

Now the dogs are looking at me funny, my ears are bleeding and I'm yet again ever so slightly annoyed with Apple.

PS: Or maybe it's just the super-cheap sound card?

This mean anything to anyone?

Built In Sound Card:
Devices:
LoadToonie:
Inputs and Outputs:
Headphones:
Controls: Mute, Left, Right
PluginID: Toonie
Internal Speakers:
Controls: Mute, Master
PluginID: Toonie
Formats:
PCM 16:
Bit Depth: 16
Bit Width: 16
Channels: 2
Mixable: Yes
Sample Rates: 32 KHz, 44.1 KHz, 48 KHz, 88.2 KHz, 96 KHz
PCM 24:
Bit Depth: 24
Bit Width: 32
Channels: 2
Mixable: Yes
Sample Rates: 32 KHz, 44.1 KHz, 48 KHz, 88.2 KHz, 96 KHz

Discuss :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.