imac intel line in

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core duo 2 ghz, 1 gb ram, 256 Mb gfx, 500Gb storage, OSX 10.4.6 and XP sp2
Yet another silly question from me!

Im trying to record into garage band using my guitar and a lead using a jack adaptor that change it from the big style guitar jack to the small headphone one. Im assuming the small port on the back of my iMac is the line in port, the one next to the optical out/head phone port.

However the lead wont go in, its as if something is blocking it half way in. Is this the line in port, and if not what is it. Also what do I need to hook up my guitar to my mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Make sure it's the audio line in- the one with the circle and the two arrows pointing in. REALLY try to push it in there. If it's the Monster jack adapter, I have the same thing, and if it really is all the way in there, it shouldn't have to go TOO far in, but does require a bit of effort. All you should need is a guitar cable and your guitar. Oh, this took me a while to figure out, took me about two hours of searching the help topics: When you record, go to "GarageBand>Preferences>Audio/Midi>Audio Input" and select "Built In Line-In" and then it should record when you create a new track and select real instrument, otherwise it'll record from the mike (sucks compared to direct line in) and fool around with the settings to turn on/off metronome, count in (gives you four beats prep before recording), and the delay in recording (when you play, it'll give your computer a second or two to register that it's recording... you can turn this off and it'll record in live time instead of a second behind). Just try to fool around with it, you'll get it.

A

anupam1008

I had the same issue, but it is really not an issue coz the full metal contact with headphone/line-in jack metal is made even though it is inserted partially. This is due to the sleek & slim design of the LCD that the thickness or depth is limited. It does not affect quality of recording or playback from the jack.

Reaction score
Yeah I can confirm that. My cable (istudiolink from monster) only goes halfway in.

But as Blindinglights said, be sure to go to system preferences, Sound, Input devices and change the setting. Test it by strumming over the guitar, very quitely (to make sure you're not using the mike accidentally).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.