Dragging icons from the dock to trash...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16ghz 15" MacBook Pro, black 30gb ipod video, black 2gb Nano.
I was just wondering, when you drag an icon from the dock to the trash, that doesnt delete the program does it? Just takes the icon off your dock? Thanks for the help.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You don't even have to drop them into the trash, just drag them off the Dock and let them go and they go poof! The program will still be in the Applications folder.

OP
Mister-Twoster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah ok, cool. But uhhh, if i did drop em in the trash, will it delete the app?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Mister-Twoster said:
Ah ok, cool. But uhhh, if i did drop em in the trash, will it delete the app?

Never tried that. Always just drop them into the desktop. I doubt it will zap the application though. I guess I could try it.

No, it just goes poof here like my way.

Just don't put anything out of Applications in the trash and empty it. Then it will be gone.

OP
Mister-Twoster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good to know, thanks!

Reaction score
You can't drop dock icons into the trash. If you could, it would show up in the Trash folder - which it doesn't. It just goes poof. Dock icons are only links, they give access to the application and some extenden functionality thereof.

The only way to "uninstall" and app is by moving the package from the Apps folder to the trash. I like to use AppZapper to delete applications - it takes care of preference files, and other junk apps put in the System folder.

M

McNewbie

Yogi can you possibly pm me to let me know how I use the App Zapper? I want to uninstall apps that I don't use as well as the extra languages and other such things so that I can free up a bit of my 512mb standard RAM.

Reaction score
or mabye just post her on how to use app zapper. i have it as well but dont want to damage any system files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
you simply drag the undesired app into the main window and it will find files that are associated with it. if a file that you want to keep pops up just uncheck it. when you are ready to get rid of the app, click on the Zap button. this moves all the checked files to the trash, meaning you still need to empty the trash to get rid of them. searching for the app in spotlight will allow you to delete everything yourself if you dont want to pay for AppZapper. I have heard that AppZapper doesnt get everything but it gets enough for me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
McNewbie said:
Yogi can you possibly pm me to let me know how I use the App Zapper? I want to uninstall apps that I don't use as well as the extra languages and other such things so that I can free up a bit of my 512mb standard RAM.

Apps that you don't use do not take up any of your standard 512MB of RAM. They will take up some of your hard drive space, but they only take up RAM when you have them open.

M

McNewbie

claudius753 said:
They will take up some of your hard drive space, but they only take up RAM when you have them open.

That's good then, so I spose I don't need to delete the unused apps just yet :black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.