newbie got a pretty sweet deal

Reaction score
What's up all?

I've been looking to switch over to Mac for a while now.

I went into CompUSA looking for something other than a new computer the other day and they had a Dual 2.5 G5 on clearence for $949. I snatched it up pretty quickly.

What are the main things I need to know by switching platforms? Should I get rid of my PC altogether?

And are the new dual-core processors that much better than the machine I picked up?

B

babelfish

That's an INCREDIBLE deal.

Loads of people are going to be jealous so be prepared :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Wow, both my brother and Mom work for Comp. I need to tell them to look out for those sort of deals for me. :D Congrats on your purchase btw. ;) As far as your question goes, I would wait till you're totally settled in with your mac before you get rid of your windows box. Some others here may disagree with that sentiment though. :p

Reaction score
Well I wouldn't rid the windows box, until you're sure it doesn't fit into your workflow. Once you know you don't need it, rid it. But "knowing" can take a couple of months, and even then, you might just want to put it in the garage rather than chuck it away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
yogi said:
you might just want to put it in the garage

Good idea. You spent money on it, you mightus well at least store it.

M

McNewbie

I'm a newbie with Mac as well, I have the Macbook and have got a pc desktop. I kept it so that I can run the Windows only programs on it and because the MB do not have good vid/graphics card if I want to play games I could use my MB.

BUT I don't play graphics extensive games just SIMS and the likes and my Macbook is handling it pretty well. So far I haven't used my desktop, only time is when I'm burning a DVD. With the ability to put Windows into my Macbook I've really got no use for the desktop if I get an external dvd burner. I'm hoping to upgrade my desktop onto an Imac in the near future...as I've fallen in love with Mac!

OP
J
Reaction score
iWonder said:
Good idea. You spent money on it, you mightus well at least store it.

That's the one idea that is pretty big for me. I built my PC from the ground up when I first got it and spent a pretty good amount on it only 2 years ago. It's worth less than than a third of what I paid for it originally. Such is life.

Luckily, I can reuse some of the parts from it in the Mac, like the memory and the hard drives, but I hate to let it go.

I can't fully move over to the Mac just yet, as I need to get software for it. That'll be soon enough.

the arguement I have against storing it is that my family has a history of just keeping crap until it clutters everything in sight. I do like the idea of settling into the Mac and then moving on. I do have another PC that's not as good as the Athlon 64 the Mac is replacing, but it's still nice to have it around.

Reaction score
jgbx said:
What's up all?

I've been looking to switch over to Mac for a while now.

I went into CompUSA looking for something other than a new computer the other day and they had a Dual 2.5 G5 on clearence for $949. I snatched it up pretty quickly.

What are the main things I need to know by switching platforms? Should I get rid of my PC altogether?

And are the new dual-core processors that much better than the machine I picked up?

Dude, that is a AWESOME deal. I wish i found one of those deals in some store.

Good luck with your Quad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
I always keep a PC around just in case I need to run a program that is only Windows. I also keep one around beacuse I game alot.

OP
J
Reaction score
coltssaturday said:
Dude, that is a AWESOME deal. I wish i found one of those deals in some store.

Good luck with your Quad.

not a Quad. That'd be even sweeter, but this one is the dual processor 2.5

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.