Which is the one for me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 2.0 GHz Core Duo, 256 Vid Card, 1 gig ram, 40 gig ipod, 4 gig nano, 512mb shuffle
I am going to be buying a mac. I was originally going to buy the mac mini but when I was playing with one I realized it really wasn't powerful enough for me. I am looking to do a lot of music editing and photo editing, and later in the future some video editing. Nothing professional mainly personal.

I have been looking into the 2.0 GHz Duel Core Macbook with 1 gig of ram or the 17" Imac with 1 gig of ram. I am really stuck as to which one to get. I don’t thing the 1.87GHz processor will be that much slower than the 2GHz, am I wrong?

One thing I am worried about is how big of an issue the integrated video card in the macbook will be when I am doing photo and video editing. The Imac has a dedicated 128mb Video card.

The price of the two setups I have chosen on the apple store are with $20 of each other. So the cost is not a concern between the two. Mobility is not a main concern either.

I am looking for some opinions any help is much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
I'd go for the iMac since you mentioned editing video. The graphics business aside, assuming you'll just be using iMovie, the larger display will be helpful. As far as I know, all of the iLife apps will run fine on pretty much any new machine, although extra RAM is always helpful. If mobility isn't an issue get the iMac. It's a great machine.

Reaction score
Yegs do you need portability. i don't know how much vram you would you need. but if you afford it get the 20 inch iMac because people say the bigger screen helps and it is better and get 256 vram and 2 gb of ram. It depends, if you don't need the bigger screen or the extra vram get the 17 inch with whatever specs you want.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 2.0 GHz Core Duo, 256 Vid Card, 1 gig ram, 40 gig ipod, 4 gig nano, 512mb shuffle
portability isn't a main issue just a convience for me since i already have a high powered windows laptop. I am going to beusing this at school so portabilty would be nice, but not neccisary. What I am more interested in is how long I will be able to use the product until it is totally outdated. The 20" Imac is to expensive for me. I have a 19" lcd monitor to hook up either duel with the imac or as a workstation with the macbook.

Does anyone know how much the intergrated video takes from the processor/ram in the macbook?

B

babelfish

From the top of my head up to 64mb.

If I were you I'd get the iMac - the benefit of a bigger screen is invluable. Plus you say that portability is not that much of a factor for you in which case the question is a no-brainer.

M

McNewbie

If portability is not an issue definetly go the Imac.

If there was a larger gap financially between the Imac and Macbook, Imac being more expensive I would say go the Macbook because that way you can still use your 19" LCD screen but since it's not much more definetly go the Imac, as you get more value for your buck I think ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
I looked at both the iMacs and Macbooks, and my immediate reaction was I DON'T want another laptop.

I also have 3 kids that would be wanting to take a laptop to their rooms and hiding out with it.

So iMac it was, 20". At least its heavy enough that they won't be tempted to move it.

Reaction score
Look, if the 20 inch iMac is too expensive get the 17 inch iMac because you said you don't want another laptop. You can buy the minimum ram from Apple and then upgrade buying ram from crucial if you know how to install it because Apple sells ram for double the price. Or if you don't know how to install it or can't find a tutorial or just don't want hassle get the upgrade from Apple.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all your help, I have decided to spend a little more and get the 20" Imac. After the mention installing my own ram I looked up how easy it was and am deffinatley installing it myself. Once again thanks for your help, I can't wait to order it!

Does anyone know if the isight works with AIM or Yahoo messenger?

Reaction score
yegs said:
Thanks for all your help, I have decided to spend a little more and get the 20" Imac. After the mention installing my own ram I looked up how easy it was and am deffinatley installing it myself. Once again thanks for your help, I can't wait to order it!

Does anyone know if the isight works with AIM or Yahoo messenger?

Great job yegs!! Good idea to upgrade the RAM yourself and get the 20 inch iMac.

Yes there are versions of yahoo messenger HERE. and HERE. for AIM for macs, and also i think they work with iSight.

Congratulations on your choice. :) :)

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well thank you all for your help, i just bought the computer and got a free nano with it. All i can say is thank god for education discounts. I just need the sucker to get here now!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
Use Adium when you get it. It supports both Yahoo and AIM screen names. Also, I hear iChat is the best for video chats.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.