Video player

17R3W

Real Newbie question here:
What other video players (besides Ivideo/QT) are out for MAC.
I'm volunteering for a local TV station (low-power) www.southshorebroadcastinginc.ca / www.cftv.ca
and we use a MAC mini as a media player.
Trouble with Ivideo is; it doesn't support multiple refrences to the same file.
(so, shows, PSA, etc can't repeat without physically copying the file)

Is there winamp (or something like it) for MAC. The reason I'm asking instead of shearching on Google, is that I want to know what will work really well.
(This may need to run for 20 hours or so straight).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb
Almost every mac user likes to get hold of vlc player!

OP

17R3W

Thanks Makwanad,
Also, I should add, MOST EVERYTHING is AVI, however we do use Quicktime, DVIX and MPEG 1/2 on rare ocausions.
DevilBoy, the reason I ASKED the question, instead of doing a search, is because I want feed back.
Google has about 49,600,000 matches for Mac Media, but I came her to get feed back like (such and such surports multiple refrences to the same file, and is very stable) or "Almost every mac user likes to get hold of vlc player"

If you don't like the thread, go post else where.

OP
C

caveatipss

17R3W said:
Thanks Makwanad,
Also, I should add, MOST EVERYTHING is AVI, however we do use Quicktime, DVIX and MPEG 1/2 on rare ocausions.
DevilBoy, the reason I ASKED the question, instead of doing a search, is because I want feed back.
Google has about 49,600,000 matches for Mac Media, but I came her to get feed back like (such and such surports multiple refrences to the same file, and is very stable) or "Almost every mac user likes to get hold of vlc player"

If you don't like the thread, go post else where.

Some people do not like Switchers to ask questions in a forum designed for Switchers to ask questions. They got on my case for asking questions, too. You should rather have simply accessed a datebase of billions of pieces of information, thus rendering this forum, and all fora, obsolete.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
No, the problem is that people don't use search. 99.9% of these questions, including this one, have been asked and answered many times. Search is your friend.

OP

17R3W

Keywords "video player multiple refrences avi" returns - "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms"

Keywords "repeat file media player" returns this thread.. and nothing else
keywords ""multiple refrences" "same file" - returns "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms"

Keywords "playlist with repeat files" returns - "Sorry etc etc"
Keywords "media player like winamp" actaully returns a few things, this thread, and "http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10477&highlight=media+player+winamp" this one, which doesn't speak to video, stabillity, multiple refrences to files, etc etc

keywords "LPTV" returns "sorry..." which is kinda what I thought, and why I considered my question unique.

Search is not my friend today.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You're being too specific. Generalize your search more and you'll find what you need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
17R3W said:
Keywords "video player multiple refrences avi" returns - "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms"

Keywords "repeat file media player" returns this thread.. and nothing else
keywords ""multiple refrences" "same file" - returns "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms"

Keywords "playlist with repeat files" returns - "Sorry etc etc"
Keywords "media player like winamp" actaully returns a few things, this thread, and "http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10477&highlight=media+player+winamp" this one, which doesn't speak to video, stabillity, multiple refrences to files, etc etc

keywords "LPTV" returns "sorry..." which is kinda what I thought, and why I considered my question unique.

Search is not my friend today.
You have the right idea here. To help things, you may want to lower the amount of keywords you use. Keep it simple and you will actually get more relevant results.
For example, when I plugged in "winamp", I found this:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21920&highlight=winamp

Using "winamp video", I found these:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27896&highlight=winamp+video

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20516&highlight=winamp+video

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15092&highlight=winamp+video

Alternatively, you could try searching on the file type of your video (.mov, .avi, .mpg, etc) and get results that way.

Your original question was simply,
What other video players (besides Ivideo/QT) are out for MAC.
There are dozens and dozens of threads on alternate video players for Macs on this forum, which is why I got a little peeved at first. I didn't mean to sound snobbish, but that is such a basic question. It has been asked ad nauseum here, and at first it seemed like just another one to add to the list. If your situation is more unique (and it is starting to sound as if it may be, I don't know what LPTV is) then a little more detail in your original post may have helped. If your situation is unique, then maybe I jumped the gun with the search link.

OP

17R3W

Thank you,
The real catch is that I need one with playlist that will let me use the same video (file) more then once.
I have to physically copy the file in order to play it twice.
If it's a Public service anouncment I may have to copy it a dozen or so times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
you can set up a playlist in VLC, use one of the 4 buttons on the player

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.