Hi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
C

caveatipss

.nathan said:
My dad is a long time windows user, and, as a fathers day gift, I thought of a MacBook just for him as he is always using my iMac so I set up a PayPal account for this cause as I am just a kid and have absolutely no money and I am tired of him using my freaking computer.

If you donate a dollar or two, I would be extremely thankful.

Mods- Lock or delete at your own discretion, per forum rules.

Hey! That's my schtick!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
So in your post you say that you want to get a MacBook for your Dad......

but in the PayPal checkout link you left it says
"Payment For: Buy Me a MacBook"
hmmmmmm.......

While I am sure that he would appreciate it, there are several other things you could get your Dad for Fathers Day besides an expensive laptop computer.... Especially when you don't even have the money to get it.

If you really want to get him one, then take the time and earn the money by getting a job somewhere. Run errands, borrow money from other family members...heck have other family members chip in and you can all give him the laptop together.

Simply put, a gift for YOUR Dad on Fathers Day should come from YOU.... not from donations given by total strangers. After all, he is YOUR dad, not ours. :black:

OP
N

.nathan

caveatipss said:
Hey! That's my schtick!
Whatev. I was being honest, but you can call it a schtick anyway. I'm the newbie here. :black:

D3v1L80Y said:

hmmmmmm.......

While I am sure that he would appreciate it, there are several other things you could get your Dad for Fathers Day besides an expensive laptop computer.... Especially when you don't even have the money to get it.

If you really want to get him one, then take the time and earn the money by getting a job somewhere. Run errands, borrow money from other family members...heck have other family members chip in and you can all give him the laptop together.

Simply put, a gift for YOUR Dad on Fathers Day should come from YOU.... not from donations given by total strangers. After all, he is YOUR dad, not ours. :black:

And yes, of course It would be really in your eyes buying it for me and then me giving it to him. And how is a 14 year old going to get $1100 no matter what I do?

To buy my iMac, I had to save for 9 months. So, if total strangers bought it for him, I wouldn't have to work around the neighborhood for 9 months for no satisfaction of my own.

Oh yes, and an expensive laptop computer would do him well, especially when he is always on my computer...

OP
C

caveatipss

D3v1L80Y said:

hmmmmmm.......

Or, he could get 5 jobs, work them like a slave and carefully save your money for months and months, then send the payment to Apple and they lose it. lol

OP
N

.nathan

caveatipss said:
Or, he could get 5 jobs, work them like a slave and carefully save your money for months and months, then send the payment to Apple and they lose it. lol
Oh yes, at my age, I can get zero jobs.

And in my neighborhood everyone has lawn men, so that eliminates that as a possibility of mowing lawns and such.

Any ideas of working? Hmmmmm?

Thought so.

OP
C

caveatipss

.nathan said:

And in my neighborhood everyone has lawn men, so that eliminates that as a possibility of mowing lawns and such.

Thought so.

Here is my unsolicited advice (from an old man lol). Give him something cheap yet meaningful. Consider your full-time job right now to be doing well in school. Go to college. Then consider a career.

OP
N

.nathan

Hm.
Should I make him a card, or is that too Kindergarden?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
.nathan said:
To buy my iMac, I had to save for 9 months. So, if total strangers bought it for him, I wouldn't have to work around the neighborhood for 9 months for no satisfaction of my own.

Oh yes, and an expensive laptop computer would do him well, especially when he is always on my computer...
Like I said, I am sure he would appreciate the computer. But you are missing the point it seems. Age is not an excuse for not being able to work and earn money. You obviously were able to do that to get your own computer. If you are really intent on getting him one, then set your goal to a later date. Try to get him one for the Holidays. You have all summer to work. If you get a worker's permit, you can get a McJob at age 14, I did when I was 14. That way you can earn money and be able to give a gift from yourself, which I am sure that your dad would appreciate that much, much more. If he knew how you got the money (or at least tried to) I would think he wouldn't be very pleased.

:black:

OP
N

.nathan

D3v1L80Y said:
Like I said, I am sure he would appreciate the computer. But you are missing the point it seems. Age is not an excuse for not being able to work and earn money. You obviously were able to do that to get your own computer. If you are really intent on getting him one, then set your goal to a later date. Try to get him one for the Holidays. You have all summer to work. If you get a worker's permit, you can get a McJob at age 14, I did when I was 14. That way you can earn money and be able to give a gift from yourself, which I am sure that your dad would appreciate that much, much more. If he knew how you got the money (or at least tried to) I would think he wouldn't be very pleased.

:black:
I already got a workers permit thingy, and applied at CVS, McDonalds, Publix, and Kash & Karry... None of them have called me back. It's all good though, I will try to get him one for Christmas. He will apreciate it then as much as now, especially if I earned the money in a real way.

And oh my goodness, It was hard to get the $1500 for this iMac. It was my Christmas money, Report Card money, Birthday money, and every penny of my allowance for 9 months. Haha.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
.nathan said:
I already got a workers permit thingy, and applied at CVS, McDonalds, Publix, and Kash & Karry... None of them have called me back. It's all good though, I will try to get him one for Christmas. He will apreciate it then as much as now, especially if I earned the money in a real way. A

And oh my goodness, It was hard to get the $1500 for this iMac. It was my Christmas money, Report Card money, Birthday money, and every penny of my allowance for 9 months. Haha.
There ya go! I am sure you are going to wow the crap out of him at Christmas with a shiny, new Mac! Good luck!

And I don't know about your dad, but I know that if I had done something like this and took money from strangers to buy him a really expensive gift when I was only 14... when he found out, he would've returned the laptop and made me return every last cent of the money I got to every person that donated. Plus, he probably would have taken away the computer that I bought myself for a time as further punishment. :black:

OP
N

.nathan

D3v1L80Y said:
There ya go! I am sure you are going to wow the crap out of him at Christmas with a shiny, new Mac! Good luck!

And I don't know about your dad, but I know that if I had done something like this and took money from strangers to buy him a really expensive gift when I was only 14... when he found out, he would've returned the laptop and made me return every last cent of the money I got to every person that donated. Plus, he probably would have taken away the computer that I bought myself for a time as further punishment. :black:
Haha. It's almost like you knew him. He would freak if he found out that I did something like that. Haha.

I could imagine the look on his face when he saw the shiny new mac, but then the look on his face when he found out how I obtained it.
That would ruin my day. :smile4:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
.nathan said:
And yes, of course It would be really in your eyes buying it for me and then me giving it to him. And how is a 14 year old going to get $1100 no matter what I do?

*Ahem* I saved up for my iBook when i was 14, I even bought the RAM. Also, I had spare cash, so i bought a 5th gen iPod and got the Agent 18 Case. If I can do it, I'm sure you can. And no it didn't take 9 months.

OP
N

.nathan

iWonder said:
*Ahem* I saved up for my iBook when i was 14, I even bought the RAM. Also, I had spare cash, so i bought a 5th gen iPod and got the Agent 18 Case. If I can do it, I'm sure you can. And no it didn't take 9 months.
And I saved for my iMac, even bought extra ram and a wireless keyboard.
4 months ago.

I don't want to go through that much saving again, especially if it isn't for me, thank you very much.
And, I think it took me 9 months because I am under different conditions for saving.

Hence: I have a life. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
hmm... talk to your mom? or someone else who could get that much money?

Hey if that's too much get him a Mac Mini.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
.nathan said:
Mods- Lock or delete at your own discretion, per forum rules.

It was removed. This is a clear violation of forum rules, consider this your only warning. Take a look at the Forum Rules post which is at the top of every forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
.nathan said:

Thought so.

How old are you... I am a kid (17 years old) and do quite well (2,000 a week) so good jobs for kids do exist.
and thats with going to a very difficult school at the same time...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
.nathan said:

Thought so.
Well if you're too young to get a job, I think you're too young to be thinking of spending thousands of dollars on a computer for someone else.

OP
C

caveatipss

PowerBookG4 said:
How old are you... I am a kid (17 years old) and do quite well (2,000 a week) so good jobs for kids do exist.
and thats with going to a very difficult school at the same time...

You are grossing almost $100,000 a year at 17 while in high school? Geez. What on earth do you do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
Don't think it's impossible. I'm fourteen and make over 300 dollars a month mowing lawns. If everyone mows in your neighborhood tell them that you'll beat their prices. Honestly, age doesn't make a difference to me. After all, I'm typing this on my new 2.0ghz Macbook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.