Any "words of wisdom" for iMac start-up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
Apple notification of likely delivery of new iMac Wednesday. (20"; 2mbRam; graphic-card upgrade; 250gb HD). Hoping for smooth start-up but somewhat fearful because every new-box start-up in my life has been troublesome. This is switch from 15 years of PC experience. Hoping to have loins well-girded for the big day.

Any particular magic to it? Any big "do's" or "don't do's" as I attempt to get underway? Will it blow up if I look at it wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
My first suggestion is to start just reading through some of the threads in this forum. You'll find lots of great questions and tips that I'm sure you'll also have. Always use the search feature to look when you have a question come up, it's probably been answered.

Congrats on the new Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
asolo said:
Apple notification of likely delivery of new iMac Wednesday. (20"; 2mbRam; graphic-card upgrade; 250gb HD). Hoping for smooth start-up but somewhat fearful because every new-box start-up in my life has been troublesome. This is switch from 15 years of PC experience. Hoping to have loins well-girded for the big day.

Any particular magic to it? Any big "do's" or "don't do's" as I attempt to get underway? Will it blow up if I look at it wrong?

When I got my MBP I was pleased how quick/easy it was to get going. You may be shocked that there were know hiccups in the initial setup and like Schweb said, use the search function chances are any questions you may have, have been answered. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
There's nothing to it. Just plug it in and enter some information and you're done!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Just to reiterate what has been said... use the previous threads in this forum should you encounter any problems or questions. There are several knowledgable members here and they have answered countless questions in the past. So even if you think you have a question that hasn't been answered, search the forums and you are bound to find your answer.

Congrats on your new Mac!! :black:

P.S. - Some more words of wisdom...

N

.nathan

It is actually quite seemless, as I have the same iMac, except with 1GB of RAM.

Plug it in and good luck!

Congrats on your new computer.

S

sharpie05

just turn it on! the setup dialogs are really straightforward, and youll be up and running in about 5 minutes!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Hit the power button, use the keyboard for about five minutes, and you're good to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
Once you get it connected to the internet, click on the blue Apple logo at the top left corner of the screen. Then select Software Updates and download all the stuff that has come out since the imac was preloaded with Tiger and iLife '06. After that, track down a copy of Windows XP and play with Boot Camp, that is after you have messed around with OSX enough. Then just sit back and enjoy how fast XP runs on your new Apple computer.

Reaction score
I don't really think he'll want XP right away... really depends on if he needs it. I'd love to be able to run XP on my iMac G5 for Games, but nothing more. All else has a mac alternative for me at least.

When you get you iMac, just clear the place you want to put it in, and when carrying the thing, keep in mind it's heavier than it looks. Grip it with two hands on the sides, without thumbing the screen. Set it up, connect the power, network cable if necessary (if you don't have wireless), and keyboard and mouse (if you don't have the bluetooth ones), and printers and stuff.

Switch it on.

It'll guide you through setup and registration, which I religiously filled out and then it makes a photoraph of you for the userpic( yo can always change it).

Then Mac OS X stats and sort of leaves you there. And you wonder "That was it?".

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
Thanks for responses. Will refer to them once again before start-up. Also stopped by local Apple Store and signed up for AppleProCare. They seem like good folks and so do you. If I end up in a corner mumbling and sucking my thumb, suspect I'll be able to recover quickly. Will report in due course.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.