Boot camp and GPU overclocking

P

petekill

I spent last night trying to upclock (not really over-clock) my graphics card in my 15" MacBook Pro 2ghz, 1gb ram. I got windows installed, bought Half-Life 2, and ran it. It ran very decently at 1440x900 resolution and all visual settings at "high". I was very impressed and very pleased.

I have read about how Apple underclocked the speed of the ATI x1600's in our MacBook pros, so I decided to see what I could do about it. I downloaded ATI Tool, and sure enough, my GPU was running at 310 mhz proc/290 mhz memory. It took me a while to get it stable while upclocking it, but I got it to 400/400 no problem.

The results are amazing 20-30 fps increase in HL2, without too much increase in heat. The fans come on and off, but its not getting too hot at all. When I'm not running games, I clock it back down to regular to save battery/heat.

I can't say I suggest doing this, as it can cause crashes and data corruption on your WinXP partition, but if you know what you're doing, its a good modification.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
*edited*
Sorry, wrong thread.
Please delete this post

Reaction score
I've tried to run ATI tools as well as Tray Tools. Tray Tools just doesn't support the X1-- series and ATI tools freezes on me when I click set clock. I'm getting frustrated as I REALLY want to get this over and start playing HL2 in good settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
turn off the atixxx.exe files from starting up, ATI tool does not always work when these runs, especially with newer ATi card which downclock to slower speeds in 2D mode and then switch to 3D modes once something "3D" starts.

Good to hear you got some good performance gains from the card, just keep an eye on the heat.

HL2 was a well designed engine to work on all ranges of hardware.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.