PC memory in a Mac?

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals!

I'm brand new to this board and to the Mac universe. I just picked up a Dual 2.5gig PowerMac G5 from CompUSA for super cheap.

Right now I have 2 sticks of 400ddr pc3200 ram in my PC that I'd like to put in the Apple but I'm not sure if they are compatible. Will these work in it or do I have to buy memory specific to Mac?

jason

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
Depends on what revision that powermac is. If it is the current quad core 2.5ghz version the ram will not work because it takes DDR2 memory. If it is one of the previous version Powermacs that used DDR sticks, then your memory from the PC should work fine. Take a look on the box that your powermac came in and see what it says ram wise.

OP
J
Reaction score
no, it's definitely not the quad core. I believe it's the dual processor. The memory sticks that are currently in there are not DDR2.

Reaction score
i bought some ddr2 ram from frys electronics and they weren't the same as the ram apple sells but it works fine on my imac g5
jgbx said:
no, it's definitely not the quad core. I believe it's the dual processor. The memory sticks that are currently in there are not DDR2.

OP
J
Reaction score
sounds like it should be ok then.

any advise on transferring hard drives? I'd imagine I'd have to format my old drives but I'm not sure if I can just do that when I put them into the new machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
jgbx said:

All three of the current Powermac models take DDR2 memory. If it is an older revision than it should have PC3200 DDR in there so your PC memory should be good to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
I was on newegg.com and I was looking through the ram. I have a 12 inch G4 1.5ghz and there is quite a big difference in the price range, from 80 to 150. Does it matter if I get the 80 dollar stuff or the 150? Or is it all the same, and will it all work with my powerbook?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is this the older 2.5Ghz Dual CPU G5 and not the newer one with the 2 dual core PPC CPU's? If so the Dual machines like the Dual 2.5 take memory in Pairs. It has to be plain PC3200 DDR SDRAM and 2 of them per bank. Some of the faster RAM will not work either. If you have say 2x 512Mhz PC3200 DDR Dimms for example, they should work.

OP
J
Reaction score
dtravis7 said:
Is this the older 2.5Ghz Dual CPU G5 and not the newer one with the 2 dual core PPC CPU's? If so the Dual machines like the Dual 2.5 take memory in Pairs. It has to be plain PC3200 DDR SDRAM and 2 of them per bank. Some of the faster RAM will not work either. If you have say 2x 512Mhz PC3200 DDR Dimms for example, they should work.

I do think it's the "older" of the G5s. When I looked at the memory that's currently in it, there's a matched pair of 256mb DDR400 pc3200.

I have a matched pair of 1gig ddr400 pc3200's in my PC right now.

Most places I checked out have "Apple Memory" listed, so I wasn't sure if memory was cross platform compatible.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
jgbx said:
I do think it's the "older" of the G5s. When I looked at the memory that's currently in it, there's a matched pair of 256mb DDR400 pc3200.

I have a matched pair of 1gig ddr400 pc3200's in my PC right now.

Most places I checked out have "Apple Memory" listed, so I wasn't sure if memory was cross platform compatible.

That should work and give you 2.5GB total. Look which slots the 2 256's are in and use the next pair for the Dual 1GB. Those Specs should work. What brand of memory are the 2x 1GB if you know?

OP
J
Reaction score
dtravis7 said:
That should work and give you 2.5GB total. Look which slots the 2 256's are in and use the next pair for the Dual 1GB. Those Specs should work. What brand of memory are the 2x 1GB if you know?

yeah, they're both Samsung

Reaction score
samsung is what apple puts in..
and all G5 Powermacs require paired off ram sticks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.