Garageband Tunes? Any good ones?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 20" Mac
Has anyone really been able to create (using the loops and instruments they included - not by pluggin in a keyboard yourself) any good songs using Garageband?

I have made a few good beats and such, nothing spectactular. I just need to keep messing around with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac
Beemer said:
Has anyone really been able to create (using the loops and instruments they included - not by pluggin in a keyboard yourself) any good songs using Garageband?

I have made a few good beats and such, nothing spectactular. I just need to keep messing around with it.

I have the music ability of a tone deaf dog but have been able to create a few fun tunes. I also picked up the "pro pack" 9 gigs of GB loops.

If you want a place to "share" your creations, www.podcastpickle.com, Podcasters always need bumpers and intros. You would also get some good feedback.

Bone

N

Netglutton

I have to say, I had the same doubts when I first looked at Garageband. But honestly, you can make some pretty decent music with the loops. Of course mixing in some vocals and instruments helps, but the loops are plenty enough to get you on your way.

I've made probably 10 songs with GB with the help of some Jam packs in every genre you can think of. However, to truly make it YOURS, consider vocals and at least a keyboard. I've even heard a couple jingles on the radio I recognize as being made from GB. When you've listened to the loops enough times, you start hearing it everywhere!

J

Jane Heir

Beemer said:

I've been tinkering with Garageband for a few weeks now and have put a few of the tunes here: http://www.myspace.com/icehouseguitar

I've had no experience making music like this before and was frankly shocked by how many 80s-sounding loops there were, so I felt "forced" to make disco music. Ha ha!

But I LOVE Garageband and can't wait for the next upgrade.

Jane

Reaction score
Beemer said:

check out me and a friends little side project here

we just did multitracking. no loops though, but a fun app to work with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 " Intel iMac, 60 GB 5th Gen iPod 12300+ Songs
GarageBand is fun...but I feel compared to what's out there it's almost a toy or a template type program - Adobe Audtion (PC only for now which is terrible it is the ONLY time you will ever see me on one ugh) and Reason 3.0 both are HUGE steps up from Garage Band both come with HUGE amounts of loops and with a Midi Keyboard you can go a LONG way with Reason 3.0 <33

both these were used with a mix of both of those (in some cases all 3) please tell me what you guys think!

http://www.myspace.com/atlanticst

J

Jane Heir

CraigNB said:
GarageBand is fun...but I feel compared to what's out there it's almost a toy or a template type program - Adobe Audtion (PC only for now which is terrible it is the ONLY time you will ever see me on one ugh) and Reason 3.0 both are HUGE steps up from Garage Band both come with HUGE amounts of loops and with a Midi Keyboard you can go a LONG way with Reason 3.0 <33

both these were used with a mix of both of those (in some cases all 3) please tell me what you guys think!

http://www.myspace.com/atlanticst

It's funny, but just today I was saying to a friend of mine that using Garageband to make complete tunes is like constructing the Eiffel Tower out of Tinker Toys.

Don't get me wrong, I love Tinker Toys. As I said in a posting elsewhere, I think Garageband is going to become the thing--if it isn't already--for recording and making music on computer.

Here are 6 tunes made on Garageband (default settings, no loop alterations):

http://www.soundclick.com/icehouseguitar

Jane

Reaction score
I like hooking up Graragband to my Clavinova and my Stratocaster and record stuff, I don't think much of the in-built synth stuff. It sucks.

R

rotatetranslate

Of course it depends on what type of music you're making, but you don't necessarily need a midi keyboard, and you don't need to use the loops, because that's not really making music, in my opinion. If you just put in a new track with a software instrument, which you can edit and add effects to it and get it to sound how you want, you can just use your keyboard (apple + shift + k) and press a note. And then you can open up the track editor/grid and edit the notes (copy and paste for more, etc) and essentially do anything you can do with a keyboard, so it basically works as a sequencer. Then, if you set the zoom level to 1/16 it essentially is a sequencer, and you can basically use it as a 16 step drum machine as well using the same technique. I think a lot of people think you can only use the loops, which would be incredibly limiting, or maybe this is what you all meant, but using this way, you actually have a bit of freedom to create what you want, although of course it's nowhere near as advanced as logic, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
A while back nine inch nails released the hand that feeds you as a garage badn file, i had fun playing around with that. don't know if its still availible tho.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.