Considering a Quasi-Switch

B

brokencircuit

Hey everyone,
As of late, I have been seeing a lot about the new Macs built on Intel hardware and their ability to run multiple operating systems. Because I'm a technician, and enjoy portability, I figured I would look into getting either a macbook, or macbook pro. My question is, which is better, bootcamp, or parallels? This is the one thing holding me back from purchasing a mac. I need the ability to run both OSX and Windows in order to get my work done efficiently. Does either peice of software lag, or take up more memory then the other? All of your help would be great. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Parallels is an emulator, so BootCamp will be much, much faster. Boot Camp is simply a way to run Windows natively on Mac hardware. Most benchmarks show the MacbookPros running Windows faster than a lot of PCs.

Reaction score
Running Windows XP on an Apple using BootCamp runs exactly the same as a PC with the same specs.

I don't know have any experience with Parallels, is it actually out? I keep hearing people talking about it, but no one that I have talked to has actually said they used it.

edit: Parallels isn't out yet...probably why no one has it...

Reaction score
Indiana; there's more than just corn here
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
Parallels is NOT an emulator, it is virtualization software. There is a large difference between the two. For example, VirtualPC for Mac is an emulator. Parallels takes advantage of the hardware already in your computer instead of emulating all of the hardware, which is much slower.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
Bootcamp allows you to natively run XP, just as it would on a piece of Dell hardware. There is no lag whatsoever, and space wise it only takes up as much hard drive space as you want the partition to consume.

Parallels is only a virtualization, not a true OS installed. It is going to lag in certain applications and gaming would be out of the question. Your best bet is to get a Macbook or Macbook Pro and use Bootcamp, giving you both OS's in their pure form. Good luck with your decision.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
ezhangin said:
Parallels is NOT an emulator, it is virtualization software. There is a large difference between the two. For example, VirtualPC for Mac is an emulator. Parallels takes advantage of the hardware already in your computer instead of emulating all of the hardware, which is much slower.

Learn something new everyday. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
techster82 said:
It is going to lag in certain applications and gaming would be out of the question.

Just for the sake of asking, how do you know this is true? Do you have it? Can you point us to a good review of it? Are you assuming based on prior experience with emulators?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
I have read other peoples reviews that gaming was a no go. I believe on Macnn's forums, but correct me if I am wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I really don't know and your post was the first I have head about gaming being a no go. That's why I asked. Anyone else know anything?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Parallels does not give the "guest" OS (Windows) direct access to the video card on the Mac. Any game that requires 3D graphics hardware won't be able to run, at least in any playable fashion.

There's also some overhead due to sharing the CPU and memory with the "host" OS, so even Windows apps that don't require 3D hardware will be somewhat slower when virtualized.

This is the tradeoff for the greater convenience of having both OS's available at once.

OP
B

brokencircuit

Hmm. It seems like Boot Camp is the best bet for my required operation. I do enjoy gaming though, so I guess parallels is out, until they put out a stable release, maybe then it will work. Thanks for the help guys!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.