• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple admits MacBook slip up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Article is here:

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2704

Apple cops up to a manufacturing mistake in MacBooks, but stays silent about MacBook Pro issues

Apple today released a statement on its support site that discusses the newly released family of MacBooks. Over the last several weeks, many have complained that after using their new MacBooks for extended periods of time, the devices became extremely hot and consequently locked up during normal use. The issue of poor thermals has become common place with Apple's Intel-based notebooks although the company has maintained that the MacBooks were operating within "normal" parameters.

Some MacBook owners who took a closer look at their units, however, found that the rear vents of the units had been blocked by a thin piece of plastic. The entire vent was covered and hot air from within the units could not escape. While the problem doesn't stretch across all MacBooks, it appears as though a sizeable number of owners have the problem. Apple's statement regarding the issue is the following:

Some MacBook computers may appear to be running too warm, with the fan running consistently and heat emanating from the top and/or the bottom of the computer. If this happens with your MacBook, check the rear vent of the MacBook to make sure it's not blocked.

Some MacBooks may have left the factory with a thin piece of clear plastic covering the rear vent. This is used in the factory to prevent dust from getting into your computer. If your MacBook has the plastic still over the vent, simply remove and discard it.

Another report claims that the matte paint on black MacBooks have begun to flake off from the undercoat. The problem so far has been limited to just one case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
Thanks for the info!

Reaction score
So they reported about the problem a little late then they were supposed to but its not a real big deal, people can fix it themselves.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
yeah, almost common sense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Some MacBooks may have left the factory with a thin piece of clear plastic covering the rear vent. This is used in the factory to prevent dust from getting into your computer. If your MacBook has the plastic still over the vent, simply remove and discard it.
I would hardly call this an Apple slip up.
If anything, it would be a case of "user error" if someone neglected to remove the piece of plastic from the back of the unit as they were unpacking it.
Just because enough people didn't do it and Apple decided to point out the cause for a "defect" in the MacBook, doesn't make it a mistake by Apple by any means. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
D3v1L80Y said:
I would hardly call this an Apple slip up.
If anything, it would be a case of "user error" if someone neglected to remove the piece of plastic from the back of the unit as they were unpacking it.
Just because enough people didn't do it and Apple decided to point out the cause for a "defect" in the MacBook, doesn't make it a mistake by Apple by any means. :black:

totally agree, its users' fault, but apple could have made that plastic more visible. most manufacturers add a color strip for visibility to such clear plastic covers.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
MAC-simus said:
totally agree, its users' fault, but apple could have made that plastic more visible. most manufacturers add a color strip for visibility to such clear plastic covers.

That's a good idea. I had high hopes for the article at DailyTech, since it was entitled "Apple Admits MacBook Slip Up". I was hoping there would be a recall and a good temperature drop...not so! Oh well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
MAC-simus said:
that would be a good idea, i dont know how many times i find one of those plastic coverings a month or three after i purchased the item. i never think about it when ever i get a new watch or something.

Reaction score
I wouldn't call it the users fault, because those strips are supposed to be removed before the Mac is shipped, they are only there to cover from dust while in the factory. That's why they don't have colour markings on them to make them visible, it was never meant to have to be removed by the user in the first place.

Equally, it's not really an Apple "slipup" either, just need slightly better quality control at the factories, but then who has perfect quality control?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
zeta101 said:
but then who has perfect quality control?
here here!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook
Hello All! I am new to the mac world !!..
I just purchased one on Thursday and I have noticed that it runs a lot hotter than my Dell. I checked the vent and didn't find anything there.... uh oh i am having doubts now...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I think some people just have an unrealistic expectation of how cool these machines should run. They're built with very powerful chips, they're going to run hot. You can't have it both ways.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
schweb said:
I think some people just have an unrealistic expectation of how cool these machines should run. They're built with very powerful chips, they're going to run hot. You can't have it both ways.

I think they've improved things...my brother just ordered a MacBook Pro which arrived this week, runs a LOT cooler than the ones on display at the local store. It must have been built within the past month because I just upgraded the hard drive and the DVD drive said it was manufactured in May 2006. Wrist area and area by the speakers only get slightly warm on this one, yay!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Mackbook 2g ram 2ghz, g3 powerPC 600Mhz, 30g video pod
i love macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Apple still needs to address the much more serious MacBook Pro issue, which is totally Apple Quality Control's fault and not fixable unless you want to open up your notebook and void your warranty in the process. Recklessly slapping enormous gobs of thermal paste in there is not a good thing, Apple! ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.