New Macbook User..Need Some Help..

Reaction score
I have used Windows since I was 5, which was 3.1 I believe back then.. And I am 21 now.

I am going away to college and just purchased the new Black Macbook, just awaiting the arrival... TOO **** LONG IMO! haha.

I am already upgrading the macbook, because I can't STAND anything that is slow! My computer now is getting too slow for me now, and it's a desktop so I can't take that with me too school, so I decided on a nice Mac.

My question is, I am looking at the software, and I would like to use Microsoft Office, because I am somewhat familar with that better than anything else, espcially Word. And I was reading the specs, and it says the following for Software:

Life ’06 (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie HD, iDVD, iWeb, GarageBand), Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Test Drive, iWork (30-day trial), Big Bang Board Games, Comic Life, Omni Outliner, and Apple Hardware Test

I am curious to know, what is "Microsoft Office 2004 for MAC TEST DRIVE, iWork (30-day trial)"? What exactly is Test Drive?

I am looking at getting Office 2004 Student/Teacher edition.. but if this "Test Drive" is the same thing, and not on any kind of trial, then I will just keep with that? And does that also included Entourage?

Sorry for stupid question.. And long drawn out post.. but it's my FIRST POST!! YAY!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Test drive = 30day trial...
You'll need the full version after 30days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
You have the option to try out Microsoft Office for Mac with the test drive then buy it. Good idea with the speed upgrade--since Microsoft Office is not yet a Universal binary, more RAM will be better. Yes, it is still usable, but just get as most RAM as you can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5
Mr.Klawz said:
And does that also included Entourage?[/QUOTET

I'm not sure if the Test Drive version of Office comes with Entourage, although I would suspect that it does.

I purchased the Student Version of Office for Mac when I bought my iMac. At that time, they had a 50% off rebate if you purchased it with a Mac.

I do have Entourage, don't use it though...

OP
M
Reaction score
What exactly is the Difference in the Student/Teacher version?

I am glad that I asked that, I would have been very upset if I left for school, and I didn't realize that the Office on the Macbook was a 30day trial. And that means iWork is also 30day trial?

What is iWork anyways?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Indiana; there's more than just corn here
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
Office for Mac, for me, cost like 11 dollars I think. If you go to college check out your campus's software reseller. Purdue has like everything for cheap for its students.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't yet feel the need for Office:Mac. I definetly won't be getting it until it's Universal... I can't stand it when I outtype my software and there is an obvious lag. For now, I'm exploring other wordprocessing software, and I will purchase iWork (mainly for Keynote).

Reaction score
Indiana; there's more than just corn here
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
iRizzo said:
You got Office:MAC for 11 dollars?

Yes, also they sell Windows XP for the same amount of spare change as well. Yes it was Office: Mac (Windows Office is there too!) do I need to take a picture haha? They sell other stuff too but its not as cheap, like Macromedia Stuff and Adobe Stuff (but its still a **** lot cheaper than then retail). Its nice being a student sometimes.

Pierre I'm on a PowerBook so I am not out-typing my word processor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5
Mr.Klawz said:
What exactly is the Difference in the Student/Teacher version?

I think the only difference between the different version of Office for Mac (besides price) is the number of machines you can install it on. Student / Teacher version comes with 3 keys to install it on 3 machines.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

OP
M
Reaction score
That sounds about right, it does say that it has 3 installs, but I never thought about that, so that does sound about right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16ghz 15" MacBook Pro, black 30gb ipod video, black 2gb Nano.
Im going to transfer to purdue next year... i cant wait to take advantage of all the discounts!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
I don't think they have released a Universal Binary verison yet but check these guys out if before you plop down big bucks for Microsoft Office: OpenOffice

I myself am an entourage user but since I reformatted last week I have been using Thunderbird from Mozilla instead. It has all the features so far as Entourage (Outlook) and is free. Check it out as well. Thunderbird

Reaction score
Jeremy W said:
I think the only difference between the different version of Office for Mac (besides price) is the number of machines you can install it on. Student / Teacher version comes with 3 keys to install it on 3 machines.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah i think its something like that, and with the one that is $499.99 you also get Virtual PC with Windows XP Professional.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Yes indeed. It is $149.99 for the Student/Teacher edition, and it comes with three keys. You can get it for $129.99 at www.macconnection.com, an even better deal. That's where I got mine.

Before you go to all the trouble of checking out OpenOffice.Org, which requires you to install Apple's X11, check out Neo Office (www.neooffice.org), the Mac port of OOO. It too is free, and is a native Mac app, vs. an X-Windows app.

The problem with both of them (Microsoft Office too) is that they are PPC code - on an Intel Mac they have to be run via Rosetta, and that really slows them down.

S

sharpie05

news for you! the intel version of neoOffice is in alpha! it should run fine, but expect a few bugs.... iwouldnt trust it quite yet with a 5 page essay though..haha

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.