My First Mac...

C

caveatipss

...was an Apple IIe in 1984. It had a 0.98 MHz processor, no hard drive, and I think 128k of RAM lol. Oh, and don't forget the green screen.

Reaction score
caveatipss said:
...was an Apple IIe in 1984. It had a 0.98 MHz processor, no hard drive, and I think 128k of RAM lol. Oh, and don't forget the green screen.

thats sounds like a funny mac, 'cause of that green screen.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Apple II is an Apple, not a Mac. The First Mac or Macintosh computer came out in 1984 with the first Consumer GUI Interface. The Apple II has no connection to the Mac except both came out of Apple. I had a IIc and IIe at one time.

I still have an old Mac 512 which was the 2nd Mac ever produced.

Reaction score
dtravis7 said:
The Apple II is an Apple, not a Mac. The First Mac or Macintosh computer came out in 1984 with the first Consumer GUI Interface. The Apple II has no connection to the Mac except both came out of Apple. I had a IIc and IIe at one time.

I still have an old Mac 512 which was the 2nd Mac ever produced.

my bad man, i didn't know that

ok so the apple not the mac.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
coltssaturday said:
my bad man, i didn't know that

ok so the apple not the mac.

They are all Apple computers since Apple made/makes them, but the Apple II and the Mac are so different in every way and Jobs had a separate team that designed the Mac.

Reaction score
dtravis7 said:
They are all Apple computers since Apple made/makes them, but the Apple II and the Mac are so different in every way and Jobs had a separate team that designed the Mac.

oh.... ok so the mac was designed by a seperate team.

thats right, everybody learns something new each day.

Reaction score
Myfirst Mac was an SE/30. My first computer from Apple was an Apple IIc, both of which I still have boxed up in their original boxes. Not sure why I can't seem to get rid of 'em.

Reaction score
netdog said:
.....Not sure why I can't seem to get rid of 'em.

you don't know why you can't get rid of your own computers.

sounds funny but i am confused.

Reaction score
Yeah, Apples and Macs coexisted once... but my first Computer was a DIGITAL Desktop with Windows 3.1 .. yeah I'm only 18. So that was back in 1992 and I had to logon to Windows by typing "win" at the DOS prompt. Then I used to play with Paintbrush (now known as Paint).

My first Mac I ever encountered was a grey box of which I don't remember the name. It had some huge number for a name. Then one day the had these cooool new gumdrop iMacs, people used to storm to use them.

But personally, I don't really see an advantage of a pre-OS X mac. I hated OS 9.

Reaction score
yogi said:
Yeah, Apples and Macs coexisted once... but my first Computer was a DIGITAL Desktop with Windows 3.1 .. yeah I'm only 18. So that was back in 1992 and I had to logon to Windows by typing "win" at the DOS prompt. Then I used to play with Paintbrush (now known as Paint).

My first Mac I ever encountered was a grey box of which I don't remember the name. It had some huge number for a name. Then one day the had these cooool new gumdrop iMacs, people used to storm to use them.

But personally, I don't really see an advantage of a pre-OS X mac. I hated OS 9.

so macs before OS X were ok but were they buggy like windows is now or not. Now they have improved a lot i guess by introducing OS X and the intel switch from PowerPC.

OP
C

caveatipss

yogi said:

My Apple IIE had no GUI lol. You had to use Apple Basic to run programs.

Reaction score
caveatipss said:
My Apple IIE had no GUI lol. You had to use Apple Basic to run programs.

No GUI that would suck! But you made it through to having an iMac, Intel Style!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
I found an old SE/30 in my friends garage, but we blew the power supply and decided it would be best to destroy it. :p So the hammers came out and the remains are in a box in my garage somewhere. lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
coltssaturday said:
so macs before OS X were ok but were they buggy like windows is now or not. Now they have improved a lot i guess by introducing OS X and the intel switch from PowerPC.

I wouldn't say that. OS9 is still a better OS than Win95 and even Win98 ever was. The system itself was old and was showing it's age though....

My first Mac was a Mac Classic that I started using at work back in 95...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5
The first Mac I ever owned was (is) a 17" 1.9 G5 iMac. :p

The first Apple computer I used would have been in elementary school. An Apple II or IIe for sure back in the early 80's.

OP
C

caveatipss

Jeremy W said:
The first Mac I ever owned was (is) a 17" 1.9 G5 iMac. :p

The first Apple computer I used would have been in elementary school. An Apple II or IIe for sure back in the early 80's.

Touche. Anyway, the height of gaming on my Apple IIe was the text game Zork lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
The first computer my parents ever bought us kids was an Apple IIe followed a couple years later by an Apple IIc. I played Swashbuckler and Montezuma's Revenge until the 5.25" floppies just gave out. I wish we had kept them just to mess around with. I believe they made their way to Goodwill years ago.

Reaction score
baggss said:
I wouldn't say that. OS9 is still a better OS than Win95 and even Win98 ever was. The system itself was old and was showing it's age though....

My first Mac was a Mac Classic that I started using at work back in 95...

so macs were born to be too good for windows i guess

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
My first Mac was this Power Mac G5 I am driving right now!! ... and I am pretty impressed!

I did use some of the original PowerPC Mac's back in the time of the 68K to PPC transition - we used them at work. I remember I loved them then. I am not sure why it took me so long to get back to Apple. I think they were always slower than PCs for the same price... it is nice to see Apple at the head of the pack again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.