bootcamp benchmarks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.
I am interested in running Windows XP on my intel iMac so I can run oblivion on my mac. Has anyone done this with their imac (preferably a 17inch imac with 128mb of video ram) and received good results?

Please let me know.

thanks.

Reaction score
Arichards said:
I am interested in running Windows XP on my intel iMac so I can run oblivion on my mac. Has anyone done this with their imac (preferably a 17inch imac with 128mb of video ram) and received good results?

Please let me know.

thanks.

Click here to see the Macworld From the Lab: XP-on-Mac benchmarks.

And click here to see benchmarks compared 17inch, 20inch core duo's and the iMac G5 (Scrol down, it is at the center of the page.)

Click here to see the universal applications first lab tests (scrol down to middle page.)

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.
I would like to know how well a really intensive game like "Elder Scrolls Oblivion" runs on the machine.

Thanks

L

Logan

Well, assuming you get *perfect* running with the WinXP bootcamp setup: (which fromreviews, it seems tobe the case) The latest iMac (minimum 1200 dollar one) specs:

* 512MB (single SODIMM) of PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 memory;
* 1.83GHz or 2GHz Intel Core Duo processor

and Elder Scrolls reqs:

What are the PC system requirements?

Recommended:

* 3 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
* 1 GB System RAM
* ATI X800 series, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series, or higher video card

Minimum System Requirements:

* Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows XP 64-bit
* 512MB System RAM
* 2 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
* 128MB Direct3D compatible video card
* and DirectX 9.0 compatible driver;
* 8x DVD-ROM drive
* 4.6 GB free hard disk space
* DirectX 9.0c (included)
* DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card
* Keyboard, Mouse

I can bet the RAM needs to be more than the stock minimum purchase of an iMac to run Elder Scrolls smoothly at higher resolutions. The CPU may be choking too, I'mnot sure how the dual processor compares, but the clockspeed doesn't seem that fast.

Picking aroudn other forums:

"Oblivion Report...

Have to run to class, but I just played about 5 minutes of the tutorial... WOW.
Ran way better than I thought it would. Extremely playable so far. Low Res (Widescreen), but HDR and every detail cranked.

Can't give you guys outdoor performance yet, but I'm gonna say that it should be able to run most Windows games fine from a bit back. CS:S included.

edit for specs:

MacBook Pro 2ghz
2gb RAM
Did a full windows update before playing.
Nothing running in background."

--note the ram ? If it runs laggy, tthat will probably be the culprit.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the nice reply. I think I might just get an xbox360 if I decide to get into the gaming scene again. My brother has one of those things with oblivion and it runs it smoothly and it looks as though every setting is on high.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.