dock problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
Normally when I hover the mouse over an icon in the dock, the name of the program will display above the icon. Lately it hasnt been doing that. In fact, my whole computer has been pretty sketchy [not a really descriptive term] lately...as in slow loads and stuff like that. Im thinking about reformatting. Can someone tell me how to fix my dock?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Permissions Repair.
Slash and Burn (Reformat and Reload) is a Windows "repair" option, not a Mac one. :black:

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
already repaired permissions...didnt work.

Reaction score
Get MacJanitor and let it clean up things. Get AppZapper and throw out all Apps that might be shady (=causing the problem).

OS X won't break just by itself. There's something bringing it down.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
thanks yogi I'll check them out.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
ehh none of them worked for the dock problem...its no big deal though I guess.

Reaction score
The dock-preferences file — the dock plist — may be corrupt.

Go into the Users folder, then the folder that has your name on it or the name under which you run the Mac.

Then go into the Library folder, then finally the Preferences folder, and drag to the desktop or trash the com.apple.dock.plist file. This is the dock-preferences file.

Restart the computer. It will run under a new com.apple.dock.plist file that it just created. The dock will now run with all the default settings, so if you had changed any you'll have to do it again. But if the plist was corrupt, mouse hovering should generate the application names again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.