• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Taking Video From A DVD?

O

oliver

I have a DVD that a friend of mine has made and written using a recordable DVD player. I need to take a five minute scene from this dvd and use it for another project. How can i record this scene onto my Power Book and insert it into Final Cut. Do i need any speciel software to do this? Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Oliver

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
I use DVDxDV... It converts it straight to a fully rendered FCP/iMovie ready DV file. Bear in mind it will not work on a DVD with CSS encryption.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Or use mactheripper to rip the chapter you need and then run the video_ts folder through ffmpegX to convert it into a dv file.

More complicated, but free...

OP
O

oliver

Mac The Ripper

Aptmunich said:
Or use mactheripper to rip the chapter you need and then run the video_ts folder through ffmpegX to convert it into a dv file.

More complicated, but free...

Hiya, yeh thanks, but when i export the files from mac the ripper they are vob files. When i import it into final cut the video is displayed but it doesnt recognise that there is a soundtrack, how do i extract the soundtrack from the vob file so that i can have sound as well as video in final cut.

Regards

Oliver

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
use FFMpegX to extract video & audio into .dv and .aiff files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.