• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

uploaded vid to youtube, why choppy?

C

code777

i edited a movie in iMovie and then did the "share" and created a .mov file in quicktime but when i upload it the movie is all choppy. but when i play it its fine. what gives? did i not do it correctly? thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
Did you export the movie specifically for web streaming in iMovie? Otherwise you can end up with a very large file that would be too large for most people to download and watch at the same time.

Also... if you did set it to web streaming keep in mind it will drop the framerate to 12fps... which may look choppy to you. You can adjust this by going to the expert settings... but remember, the higher the fps the bigger the file.

OP
C

code777

hmmm, so the file is too large? i think i had it set to "CD-ROM" actually but I also did it for "Web Streaming" and I think I got the same results. Its all choppy (one shot to another) but audio is perfect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually... I think you are talking about the slower framerate when you say "choppy"... A standard video framerate is 29.97fps (frames per second) ... So when you go to 12fps it's almost like cutting out 2 of each 3 frames. So you will end up with that studdered or choppy look. Go to expert settings and try increasing your framerate to 29.97 again. Just make sure to set your compression ratio higher so that you don't end up with a huge file.

Let me ask you this... When you play the exported video from your harddrive does it still look choppy to you? Or is it only after you upload it and view it on youtube.com?

OP
C

code777

thanks sarahsboy for the advise.

but when i play it on my harddrive it looks normal. its only when i upload it to youtube or even google video it looks choppy. like frame by frame, weird. the audio is fine though... not sure why when i upload the file to either host they play like that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You may want to look at trying a different codec for the video... The default for web/web streaming in iMovie is h.264 which is still relativaly new... You can try going to the expert settings and encoding as mpeg-4 which has been around longer and is a more established/tested format.

I know youtube and google in theory support h.264... But I'm just trying to think of ways to troubleshoot the issue.

OP
C

code777

i'll try to encode it by mpeg4 and see what happens. thanks so much for the help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.