G4/G5 vs. Intel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
Im looking to switch to a mac but i dont want to spend too much, so im wondering wat sort of decrease in performance will i experience if i purchase a G4 or G5 over the new intel chips. Also, am i going to hurt in the long run as far as software goes. Like is most of the software that will be made in the future be made for the intel and therefore not run on the G4 and G5 machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
CarlConti08 said:
Im looking to switch to a mac but i dont want to spend too much, so im wondering wat sort of decrease in performance will i experience if i purchase a G4 or G5 over the new intel chips. Also, am i going to hurt in the long run as far as software goes. Like is most of the software that will be made in the future be made for the intel and therefore not run on the G4 and G5 machines.

In the long run I think you'd be better off with a Mac with the Intel chip. Just my opinion though. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Speed wise I doubt you'll see much of a major difference between Intel and a G5, especially with many major 3rd party Apps running under emulation on Intel Macs. A fast G4 might be ok, but only if it a newer machine, or a souped up older one. If you want to save some money, buy a G5 iMac.

As for hurting in the long run, I doubt it. Apple will be pushing the "Universal" thing for quite some time to come and development for both processors is not that hard with the tools Apple provides. Most developers will continue to write for both for the foreseeable future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hackintosh ,Quad, Editing Machine
depends what you are doing if you are using it for business, GO PPC, if your looking for a new basic computer just for fun GO Intel, but remember it's still 1st generation hardware, i would buy first generation hareware from anyone including apple, it's not a knock against apple just the nature of technology

X

xthisisRomancex

i think he meant wouldn't teeheeee
i would buy first generation hareware from anyone including apple, it's not a knock against apple just the nature of technology

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.