No Sound when trying to play BBC progs

Reaction score
Greetings
The title says it all really. I have installed real player - it shows up in my applications folder, and whilst I do get sound if playing a CD or DVD, I don't hear anything from the Beeb. Any ideas, please? Cheers Mitcherooney

Reaction score
Is the volume turned up in the actual real player program? (im not talking about the main system volume). Also, is this only limited to BBC videos?

OP
Mitcherooney
Reaction score
zeta101 said:
Is the volume turned up in the actual real player program? (im not talking about the main system volume). Also, is this only limited to BBC videos?
Yes, the sound is turned up to full on RP and no, it seems to be other sites too. The prog from the BBC is sound only, by the way. When I click on a soundfile from Red Hot Jazz I get the message that RP is missing a component RA 3.0..... From what I can make out, this is a codec which I have have downloaded, but I am not quite sure how to make use of it. (Thicko) The iMac is new to me, and despite comments that I had read about the machine before shelling out for it, it doesn't seem as intuitive as I had expected. Like me, I guess it's got a few quirks...heh heh heh. Cheers Mitcherooney

Reaction score
Open realplayer and click the file menu at the top and select "open location" and then type in au:dnet and click open. There should then be a window to install the realaudio 3.0 codec plug-in (115kb in size).

Reaction score
oh and about your comments on the imac...I wouldn't base anything on real player, real are notrious for theri crap software, although to be fair the mac version of real player isn't as bad as the pc version. It might be that you just need to get used to things, I suggest you have a think about what is bothering you and then make a post about it in the switcher forum and people will help you out (ie, is there a better way of doing things etc).

OP
Mitcherooney
Reaction score
...still none the wiser.....

zeta 101 - Thanks for your suggestions to date, but I still have a problem. Ahem.
I did as you suggested, and on the Real Player Autoupdate box that pops up, I stll get the message, 'Some needed components were not available. (RA 3.0)'

Would you suggest an alternative Player? Should I plough on with RP?

Cheers M

Reaction score
OK I've done a bit more research...First make sure Real Player is not open at all (that its either not in the dock at the botton, and if it is that there isnt a black triangle underneath). Now open the finder and go to your applications folder and find the real player icon, click it once to select it and press command+I (command is the key that has the apple symbol on it), this will "Get Info" on the application.

In the Get Info window find a box that says "Open Using Rosetta" and tick the box, I'm assuming it should be in a plain sight, but I don't have one of the new intel macs to check myself :) Now close that get info window and open up real player and do what i said before. Make sure you click install once it finds the update. The quit real player and now it should work.

Assuming this works, you might be wondering what this Rosetta thing is. Well, Apple Macintoshes until recently used processors made by IBM called PowerPC processors. Apple have now changed over the iMac and all their notebooks to new processors from intel. This change meant that some applications might not work unless the programmer who made it recompiles the code into a special "Universal Binary" (Which means they can release a program and it will work fine on both PowerPC and on the new intels).

However, if you find an application that isn't yet made into a universal binary you can still run it because of the clever Rosetta appication (which works out of sight, so you never know it's there). Running an application in rosetta will be a little slower, for some programs you might not notice the speed difference. But for whatever reason, at the moment if you want to install the Real Audio 3.0 update, the application must be running in rosetta mode. Hopefully, real will issue an update so this isn't need soon.

As for an alternative, there isn't one to my knowledge, unless anyone has any other suggestions?

Let me know if this works.

OP
Mitcherooney
Reaction score
zeta101 said:
OK I've done a bit more research...First make sure Real Player is not open at all (that its either not in the dock at the botton, and if it is that there isnt a black triangle underneath). Now open the finder and go to your applications folder and find the real player icon, click it once to select it and press command+I (command is the key that has the apple symbol on it), this will "Get Info" on the application.

In the Get Info window find a box that says "Open Using Rosetta" and tick the box, I'm assuming it should be in a plain sight, but I don't have one of the new intel macs to check myself :) Now close that get info window and open up real player and do what i said before. Make sure you click install once it finds the update. The quit real player and now it should work.

Assuming this works, you might be wondering what this Rosetta thing is. Well, Apple Macintoshes until recently used processors made by IBM called PowerPC processors. Apple have now changed over the iMac and all their notebooks to new processors from intel. This change meant that some applications might not work unless the programmer who made it recompiles the code into a special "Universal Binary" (Which means they can release a program and it will work fine on both PowerPC and on the new intels).

However, if you find an application that isn't yet made into a universal binary you can still run it because of the clever Rosetta appication (which works out of sight, so you never know it's there). Running an application in rosetta will be a little slower, for some programs you might not notice the speed difference. But for whatever reason, at the moment if you want to install the Real Audio 3.0 update, the application must be running in rosetta mode. Hopefully, real will issue an update so this isn't need soon.

As for an alternative, there isn't one to my knowledge, unless anyone has any other suggestions?

Let me know if this works.

You're my hero! Yes, that's done the trick.... The cheque's in the post heh heh heh M.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.