• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie 3 to Toast 6

D

diloretta

I have iMovie 3 and Toast 6.
I have an iMovie with video and audio (two tracks) that are PERFECT in my computer. However, when I burn it in Toast the video is correct, but the audio is out of whack. I think track one (music) is ok, but track two (voice) with maybe 15 clips plays out of its own order and not in sync with track one. Both audio tracks were locked with the video track. After burning it three times and seeing the problems - I keep checking the version in my computer that is still perfect. Any ideas?

OP
J

java

Are you exporting the iMovie as a Quicktime first? Unlike iDVD where you can just drag the file from the iMovie folder and all of the media will move with it, Toast requires the entire Quicktime movie be dropped into the program.

OP
P

Phil O.

The problem does not appear to be limited to Toast applications. I get the same problem when I send a project over to iDVD or export to Quicktime.

In iMovie, I assembled my clips, put in titles between scenes, and put in transitions (fade in/fade out) before and after each scene. It worked great when I previewed it in iMovie. I sent the project over to iDVD and it looked great in the preview. Then, I burned a DVD, and that's when the synch problem showed up. When we viewed the movie on our DVD player, it started out okay, then in the first couple of seconds of each scene, there would be a "pop" or dead space and the sound would be out of synch with the video. By the last scene, the sound would be as much as 5-seconds out of synch with the video!!! I wasted three DVDs trying to figure out what was wrong! :mad:

So I decided to export the project to Quicktime. When I watched the movie using the Quicktime player, the same thing happened. That's how I know its a problem with iMovie.

I then started editing my project in iMovie to see if I could find the culprit. Removing the transitions did not help. The only thing that solved the problem was when I removed the title clips from between each scene. I was able to watch the movie in Quicktime and burn a DVD with no trouble. This really stinks because I want to be able to use all the special effects and features that come with iMovie! :mad:

I've searched the web and found that other people have been having a similar problem. One fellow explains how he gets around the problem in this website:

http://www.danslagle.com/mac/iMovie/audio/1001.shtml

It looks kind of convoluted, but apparently it works. The next step will be to call Apple tech support. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.